• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who Will Be Panthers Biggest 2021 Sleeper?

KatsAzz

6 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Official Last Post on this!

Uh huh.

I never said I banged the drum to release him before 2019, just that we were concerned about his large salary versus his 2018 performance and age.

So now you think we should have kept Short in 2019.   Then you can't call keeping him that year stupid or use it in your math for justifying how bad Short's contract was.  But down below, you still do.

I also use groups of players because I’m focused on the forest not individual trees. That’s your problem. You are stuck on a poster boy

Matt was the poster boy.  25 million for a turnstile is about as bad as gets.  

Matt Kalil is the poster boy of bad signings.

Not seeing the entire forest is what led to wasting 7x Kalil’s dead cap in 2020.

Once again comparing 1 contract to the combination of everyone else.   You had to make another post for this?  

You obviously have no basic understanding of what a poster boy is.   You don't compare the poster boy to the entire group and say, see he's not the whole problem.  Duh.  He is representative of the problem, he isn't THE problem.      

While you say it doesn’t have anything to do with Moton (I disagree), having that money would have made it a no brainer to already have Moton and DJ extended.

We have the cap space now to sign Moton, with some to spare.

Per game cap hit - Matt - 16 games $1.56M, Okung - 6 total games $2.25M, Short (2019/2020 - just new money) - 5 games $5.3M

This is wrong.  Okung played 7 games, not 6 for 13 mill which brings his per game cost in line with Matts for MUCH BETTER PLAY.    Especially considering a left tackle costs more in 2020 than 2017.

Once again you included the 2019 year for Short which you just admitted above you wouldn't have cut him yet.

If you want a poster boy, which I don’t need, I’d suggest Marty or even Short whose $26.5M in the last 2 years got us 10 tackles and no sacks. Like Okung, Teddy and Matt, they’re gone. It just gets old blaming Matt for our pile of dead cap.

Wow.  Your ability to see the future is amazing.  You knew before the 2019 just after Short went to the Pro bowl again, that Short's injuries would sideline him for 2019.    But up above you said you wouldn't have cut him pre 2019.  Do have as many posts railing to get rid of short in 2019 as you have spent here?

You have to judge the contracts by what we knew at the time.  Matt Kalil had been sht for years.  We gave him a 5 year 50 million contract.  Fortunately we cut early and only paid 25 million. The original contract is the  poster boy of bad management.

I would argue signing Shorts extension was good management.

You will never convince me that Matt Kalil's 5 year 50 million contract made as much or more sense than Kawann Short 5 year 80 million extension.    Only in hindsight do they look comparable because Short got hurt.

KawanShort>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>MattKalil at the point of signing.

You can try to convince me all you want that those contracts are on par.  They simply aren't.

Matt Kalil's contract is the poster boy of bad contract signings. 

That you put Short's extension, even in the same category....smh.

• Pie 1

22 hours ago, stbugs said:

Again, you get hung up on dead cap. Our cap hits would be exactly the same if we gave Matt Kalil a two year $25M full salary deal with no bonuses or the contract we gave him. To Matt Kalil, he got $25M in cash either way for 2017-2018 and was paid in 2017/2018 and earned not a single penny after 2018.

How much cap space you have when you sign a contract matters.

Buying a shty house for 1 million when you only have 1k is  FAR WORSE than buying a shty house for 1 million when you have 100 million.  In one case you mortgage your future, and in the other you've got money to burn.

Mortgaging your future is worse than spending money you have.  We got a mortgage to pay for Matt Kalil, talk about f ing  stupid.  

Edited by SBBlue
  • Pie 1