• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Suicide Squad

Khyber53

On 8/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, Captroop said:

These studios have properties with back catalogs of characters thousands deep that no one gives a poo about. Instead of making ANOTHER Batman movie, dig up Polka Dot Man, dig up Shazam!, dig up Groot, hand the reigns over to a really innovative filmmaker, give them $140M to make a movie, and see if you knock one out of the park. Not everything has to be a Justice League, or an End Game, with all of your most famous characters, and the biggest name actors, and if it makes less than $1 Billion worldwide, you're losing money.

Isn't that what sort of happened with Avengers?   IIRC, when Iron Man came out, the whole MCU wasn't planned out at all. It really started to come together after Disney bought Marvel and Marvel Studios was tasked to come up with something using the characters that Disney would be able to use in the Florida theme parks (due to the Universal Studios+Marvel licensing issue).

Similarly, the Mandalorian was super-popular because it DIDN'T focus on the primary characters of the Star Wars universe. As Jon Favreau said: "we made this show for all the kids whose older siblings played with the /cool/ Star Wars toys and left us with the toys/characters nobody wanted"

• Pie 1

Not typically a DC fan (the movies got WAY too dark for my particular taste), so haven't seen a lot of the recent offerings.  Watched Suicide Squad last night and we mostly enjoyed it. They probably could have PG-13'd more of the violence or made it more cartoony rather than explicit.

Was surprised at the opening credit cast list vs how the plot played out.

John Cena continues to be amusing in his role choices. Who knew he'd have good comedic timing?

• Pie 1

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Ghostface Chilla said:

Really enjoyed this Suicide Squad versus the first. I am not a big comic book fan, but I try to keep up with the movies from both Marvel and DC. So grant me some leeway here, but Will Smith was not recast right? These are two different assassins, Deadshot (Smith) and Bloodshot (Elba), or did I mishear his name in the new one? 

Two different characters in the comic book, two different characters in the movies. When both emerged in the actual comic books, that was the "cool" character archetype, so you end up with guys like Deadshot, Bloodsport, Slade, etc... sort of combinations of the Punisher and Deadpool.

Edited by Khyber53
  • Beer 1