• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Where we now stand: Roster Breakdown

Captain Morgan

The Charlotte Hornets organization has confirmed the details of multiple transactions which we were made aware of during the free agency moratorium. Let’s start from the top.

Friday, the Mason Plumlee trade was made official and as a result, the Hornets signed JT Thor to his rookie scale contract and he will now be on the Summer League roster.

This was a smaller and expected transaction, but Charlotte renounced the rights to Bismack Biyombo to clear cap space Friday afternoon per Spotrac’s Keith Smith.

Saturday morning, the Devonte’ Graham sign-and-trade with the New Orleans Pelicans was finalized, becoming part of a three-team deal with the Memphis Grizzlies, Hornets and Pelicans. The Hornets acquire Wes Iwundu, a protected 2022 first-round draft pick and cash considerations from the Pelicans along with the draft rights to Tyler Harvey from the Grizzlies in exchange for sending Graham to New Orleans.

The 2022 first-round draft pick via New Orleans will convey to the Hornets if the Pelicans make the playoffs this season; if not, it becomes a second-round pick in 2022 and 2024.

About an hour and a half after the Hornets acquired Iwundu — putting the number of guaranteed contracts on the roster at 17 — the team announced it was waiving Caleb Martin.

Even with Martin being waived, the Hornets must get rid of one more player to get down to the maximum of 15 guaranteed contracts. Cody Martin and Jalen McDaniels both have non-guaranteed deals for next season and Nick Richards could be a candidate to be traded due to his low salary and position on the depth chart.

To cap off the Saturday morning roster shuffle, the Hornets officially inked Kelly Oubre Jr. to a two-year contract per Yahoo Sports’ Chris Haynes.

A $25 million contract over two seasons with no options is quite a reasonable deal for Oubre Jr., who provides needed athleticism, defense and depth on the wing. The Hornets now have multiple high-level rotation players under team control to go along with their budding young core.

Guards: LaMelo Ball, Terry Rozier, Ish Smith

Wings: Gordon Hayward, Kelly Oubre Jr., James Bouknight, Wesley Iwundu, Jalen McDaniels/Cody Martin*

Forwards: Miles Bridges, PJ Washington, JT Thor

Centers: Mason Plumlee, Vernon Carey Jr., Kai Jones, Nick Richards*

Two-Way players: Arnoldas Kulboka, Scottie Lewis

*denotes a roster casualty; a trade candidate or player with a non-guaranteed contract.

more at the link

https://www.atthehive.com/2021/8/7/22614424/charlotte-hornets-makes-devonte-graham-pelicans-trade-kelly-oubre-signing-official-caleb-martin

• Pie 2

Technically Ish Smith isn’t official yet, Cody Martin (non-guaranteed contract) is going to have to be cut to create a roster spot.

You have to think that Jalen McDaniels, Wes Iwundu, and Nick Richards are all trade candidates to free up roster space for other moves.

Not to mention if LiAngleo Ball averages 10+ points and shows that he can play defense in the summer league games he will be given a roster a spot (have to keep LaMelo happy). We could also assume that whoever performs the best out of Grant Riller, D.J. Carton, and Joel Berry may be signed to be the third point guard.

Edited by MillionDollarCam
  • Pie 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Morgan said:

we really need LaMelo to stay healthy.  Gonna miss DG, I felt pretty good when he came in the game.  I feel we need a 3rd pg, and I feel we need to upgrade the position, but probably won't be able to at this stage.

It was nice not having to worry about the guard position when LaMelo, Rozier, or Graham went to the bench for a break. Hopefully LaMelo and Rozier stay healthy.

• Pie 2

I like McDaniels.  I really think he deserves more minutes.  The remaining Martin isn't bad, and I like some of the edge he brings, but I think ideally he is a bottom of the roster guy...  Richard's, ehhh, sorry, but I don't see very much there - so he is who I would let walk.  Also, I'd be very willing to move PJ for the right price.

• Pie 2

50 minutes ago, Proudiddy said:

I like McDaniels.  I really think he deserves more minutes.  The remaining Martin isn't bad, and I like some of the edge he brings, but I think ideally he is a bottom of the roster guy...  Richard's, ehhh, sorry, but I don't see very much there - so he is who I would let walk.  Also, I'd be very willing to move PJ for the right price.

Pj could make a bridges leap in his 3rd year

we are gonna miss devonte…book on the guy from golden state is he can’t shoot

book needs to make an impact quickly 

Edited by Scott12345

Looks like everything is official as of now.

PG - LaMelo Ball, Ish Smith

SG - Terry Rozier, James Bouknight, Cody Martin, Scottie Lewis (TW)

SF - Gordon Hayward, Kelly Oubre, Jalen McDaniels, Wesley Iwundu

PF - Miles Bridges, P.J. Washington, JT Thor, Arnoldas Kulboka (TW)

C - Mason Plumlee, Kai Jones, Vernon Carey, Nick Richards

The Hornets had to waive Caleb Martin to get under the cap to sign Ish Smith.

As of right now the roster sits at 18, the Hornets can carry up to 20 during the summer so they could always add LiAngelo Ball and one of the summer league point guards (Grant Riller, Joel Berry, D.J. Carton, Nate Darling) to round out the training camp roster.

Cody Martin’s contract becomes guaranteed on 8/15. The Hornets could choose to waive him or allow his contract to become guaranteed then trade him (assuming he doesn’t make the roster). Under the new CBA non-guaranteed contracts do not count as outgoing salaries in trades so as of right now his contract isn’t tradeable. Jalen McDaniels contract became guaranteed on 8/1.

The Hornets need to have their roster down to 15 players with 2 two-way players before the season starts.

• Pie 3

D.J. Carton has just been added to the roster and slots in as the third point guard for the moment.

PG - LaMelo Ball, Ish Smith, D.J. Carton

SG - Terry Rozier, James Bouknight, Cody Martin, Scottie Lewis (TW)

SF - Gordon Hayward, Kelly Oubre, Jalen McDaniels, Wesley Iwundu

PF - Miles Bridges, P.J. Washington, JT Thor, Arnoldas Kulboka (TW)

C - Mason Plumlee, Kai Jones, Vernon Carey, Nick Richards

You have to think that LiAngelo takes the final spot and will fight for a final roster spot with Carton, Martin, Iwundu, and Richards. Three of those five would have to go.