• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Early thoughts on 2021 Draft clafss

micnificent28

I have been around the huddle for nearly a decade or so and have to say early on I haven't felt as good about a draft class as I have this one. Just gonna share so opinions

Horn- has been as good if not better than advertised. The interceptions in camp have been encouraging but seeing the way he breaks on slants and curls is a breath of fresh air.

Marshall Jr- I feel like he's a second first rounder at this point he has shown everything and every reason to have faith in him. He has looked so good early I'm look at Andersons extention like.. was it really the right call? Physical specimen different kind of reciver than dj and Anderson.

Christ- has been hard to judge given he's playing with the 2nd team but he hasn't given up many pressures or sacks and when they picked him many even myself question was it to early. But he looks good.

Trimble- Another who is that guy pick.. now it looks like oh who is that guy! He shows athleticism and before the preseason I wasn't ready to let Thomas go in and thought it was a joke he could be cut. Now... meh

Hubbard- He looks like a legit back when given the chance. He flashes.. which is all you can ask for at this stage. He breaks tackles at a good rate and no he's not cmc but he's probably the best backup rb we have had since the Stewart cmc days.

Shi Smith- was pushing in my mind to be wr4... he did everything right and early signs were encouraging they were force feeding him this game and the injury sucks because I think he is going to the IR.

Brown- the massive guard from Alabama was man handing guys when given the chance to play..start brown now!

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Good post, already posted my feels on the draft, there are below in the forum. Ive been fighting off calling this the best one evar, mainly cause of past let-downs. I felt that way shortly after the draft, but I always feel petty good after the draft...even the hernaiy ones...

Im a big value guy and feel this is the best "value" draft, panthers caught a few falling players during the draft. Im also big on as the draft gos on, increase your risk. Go for starter in the late, screw that looking for a STer crap. As I said in a thread below, I think the 4-7+UDFA will match if not better the 1-3 players. 

• Pie 1

I still like the 2020 class better.   Granted we got more picks than the previous draft, but I wasn't exactly thrilled with what they did with the late selections.  It seemed like they almost traded back too much and were grasping at straws with the last few picks.  I would have looked at center, tackle, linebacker and end.

Quality over quantity is the best way to sum it up.

5 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I still like the 2020 class better.   Granted we got more picks than the previous draft, but I wasn't exactly thrilled with what they did with the late selections.  It seemed like they almost traded back too much and were grasping at straws with the last few picks.  I would have looked at center, tackle, linebacker and end.

Quality over quantity is the best way to sum it up.

Brown, CHinn, and YGM are going to be hard to beat. Facts are panthers have heavy needs at both quality and quantity. 

I wanted Finesser to stick with the 2nd and draft Liam Eichenburg. Phins picked Liam and moved him to LG, so...... idk. I know a few things Id do if GM with full power- find the best OL and ST coach and blank check them. Sign OL vets and vet CBs. College rules have made it impossible to draft&develop  OLmen. TM88 is looking great, especially as a late 2. Panthers need combo 2020&2021 draft again in 2022. Right now for the first part of the 2022 all OLmen and maybe 1 QB(depends on thousand factors) and the back half for LBs and 1 PR. 

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Brown, CHinn, and YGM are going to be hard to beat. Facts are panthers have heavy needs at both quality and quantity. 

I wanted Finesser to stick with the 2nd and draft Liam Eichenburg. Phins picked Liam and moved him to LG, so...... idk. I know a few things Id do if GM with full power- find the best OL and ST coach and blank check them. Sign OL vets and vet CBs. College rules have made it impossible to draft&develop  OLmen. TM88 is looking great, especially as a late 2. Panthers need combo 2020&2021 draft again in 2022. Right now for the first part of the 2022 all OLmen and maybe 1 QB(depends on thousand factors) and the back half for LBs and 1 PR. 

I have to admit that I wasn't initially a fan of drafting TM88 and saw it as a slight to the Saints (rumored to be targeting him) more so than a real need/value.  Pleasantly he seems to be the real deal.  I'm still on the fence with the Tremble pick.  To me he's going to have to be a real cog in the Panthers offense for him to be worth that pick, otherwise I feel we could have gone in another direction.  Apparently he was one of Rhule's draft crushes.  Outside of Shi Smith (I actually was wanting a slot WR on the last day since Curtis Samuel was on the out the door) the rest of the day 3 picks were...meh.

23 hours ago, 45catfan said:

I have to admit that I wasn't initially a fan of drafting TM88 and saw it as a slight to the Saints (rumored to be targeting him) more so than a real need/value.  Pleasantly he seems to be the real deal.  I'm still on the fence with the Tremble pick.  To me he's going to have to be a real cog in the Panthers offense for him to be worth that pick, otherwise I feel we could have gone in another direction.  Apparently he was one of Rhule's draft crushes.  Outside of Shi Smith (I actually was wanting a slot WR on the last day since Curtis Samuel was on the out the door) the rest of the day 3 picks were...meh.

I really loved TM88, just didnt know about his health. I had him as a late 1st and once he fell some, I wondered why? Many teams Medical flag him. As for the iants, they dont have any weakness except backup WRs and TEs.......it was a HUGE FU to them for the panthers take him. Right now TM88 would be their no questioned #1. SHi Smith I didnt rate cause my focus is top 80-ish, but I was aware of him. The draft was about catching caught a falling talent, Shi Smith should have went way before he did. WR was maybe the best group in the whole draft and one of the better ones in last 7 years. WR have been owning the drafts in recent years. Someone has to fall and/or get over looked. Colts 7th rounder Michael Strachan looked nearly as good as TM88, he worked the panthers DBs during the practices.