• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How good is the Panthers defense? They can do the same thing three times in a row with success.

Saca312

I am unsure if this was posted or not, but I found this to be both hilarious and a telling highlight.

On the final drive before the half against the Saints, Phil Snow decided to have a little fun and, well, spam this one particular blitz as if he were playing Madden. Of course, if this were any other team, most seasoned NFL QBs would recognize the repetition and find a way to beat it.

However, that task is hard when you're facing the most versatile defense in the NFL with a mad scientist at DC.

Phil Snow called for a fun bit of pressure. Not only did he call this blitz once, he called it twice. But that wasn't enough. To rub the salt in the wound, he called it a third time, which was the icing on top of the cake as Jameis ran and threw a free candy bar to the Panthers secondary.

Of course, it comes to question: how the hell did this play work three times in a row? 

Well, given the Panthers love for their confusing looks and blitz', it may simply be that Jameis assumed it had to be different the next time it happened. He was likely so frazzled by the complexity of Carolina's defense that he never was able to fully trust that they'd run the same blitz again and again. Same deal with the offensive line, they too looked lost against this ferocious defense.

Keeping up with the mystery, confusion, and surprises of this Carolina defense is why they are a unit to be feared. It is also why they were able to run the same play three times in a row and scare the wits out of Jameis each and every time. 

Through their scheme and talent, their diversity and multiplicity allow this defense to be #1 in the NFL. That is why they are a defense to be feared.

After all, if you can run the same blitz three times in a row with success each time, there's definitely something good going on with your defense.

• Pie 2

Also, fun little nugget - a lot of their success against the Saints had to do with their center being bad. McCoy wasn't available for this game, so not having that experience also played a role into why one of the best offensive lines in the NFL looked like poo. The confusion this defense can generate is frustrating for any olinemen, especially ones who are bad.

Of totally unrelated note, the Cowboys have a poo center who isn't the brightest. If he had to face a defense like the Panthers, perhaps he wouldn't do so well trying to unravel a DC like Phil Snow's looks.

That might be amusing to watch this Sunday...

Edited by Saca312
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, Kuhndog94 said:

Was discussed last week. 

I hope we exploit that cowboys center as bad as this guy was exploited. 

Ah I see now, my bad.

And hoping so too. Cowboys center is definitely their weakest point of their o-line from what I'm seeing, so I expect to see him be as much as a turnstile as the Saints center was. 

Phil Snow seems to dial up new surprises every week, so I'm sure he has a fun package for Dak Prescott this go around.

Also, @rayzor feel free to close this thread as it is a duplicate. Unable to figure out how myself as it won't let me edit the OP.