• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Championship Week

Catsfan69

7 minutes ago, CRA said:

Cade was the #1 QB in the country coming out of HS too though.   Clemson has him.  Clemson is also adding the #6 QB this upcoming season to be behind Cade.   Not sure why DJ leaving is an argument the talent is falling off.   

DJU was horrible.  Just a physically talented kid that isn't actually good at playing QB. 

2022 class was top 10.  Clemson's 2023 class is presently rated as the #8.   

The question wasn't answered.  I clearly said the talent wasn't falling off, so why did DJ not play up to expectations.  Calling him horrible isn't a good explanation, it's a weak take.

Cade has played one game against an extremely mediocre UNC team that if not for the outdated divisional structure had no place the the "Championship" game.  I'd pump the breaks. 

I digress, this is about why DJ, the #1 QB coming out of high school, didn't pan out.  Genuinely intrigued.

32 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The question wasn't answered.  I clearly said the talent wasn't falling off, so why did DJ not play up to expectations.  Calling him horrible isn't a good explanation, it's a weak take.

Cade has played one game against an extremely mediocre UNC team that if not for the outdated divisional structure had no place the the "Championship" game.  I'd pump the breaks. 

I digress, this is about why DJ, the #1 QB coming out of high school, didn't pan out.  Genuinely intrigued.

was spoke on last year, but DJ was always a round peg in a square hole.  Clemson's offense is what it is.  You have to fit into it.   He never fit what they do schematically.    He is too slow physically and with his reads.   DJ's natural offense is a pro style offense.  That's not Clemson.   They made him lose a bunch of weight to see if he could fit better and encourage him to run this year but it was still forced play.  

Simply put it was the wrong system for him to try to grow in.   And he never grew as a result.    

Cade also lead that double digit comeback to beat Syracuse and save what was at the time an undefeated season.  They had legit defense and were playing with a lead and momentum.  If you can't get excited about Cade.....then you can't really get excited about any player on your college team.   Why wouldn't you be excited about what was the #1 overall QB coming out of HS.....whose only 2 appearances with real snaps to play was a comeback win and ACC title game win? 

1 hour ago, CRA said:

was spoke on last year, but DJ was always a round peg in a square hole.  Clemson's offense is what it is.  You have to fit into it.   He never fit what they do schematically.    He is too slow physically and with his reads.   DJ's natural offense is a pro style offense.  That's not Clemson.   They made him lose a bunch of weight to see if he could fit better and encourage him to run this year but it was still forced play.  

Simply put it was the wrong system for him to try to grow in.   And he never grew as a result.    

Cade also lead that double digit comeback to beat Syracuse and save what was at the time an undefeated season.  They had legit defense and were playing with a lead and momentum.  If you can't get excited about Cade.....then you can't really get excited about any player on your college team.   Why wouldn't you be excited about what was the #1 overall QB coming out of HS.....whose only 2 appearances with real snaps to play was a comeback win and ACC title game win? 

So you think DJ isn't a bust and can flourish in the correct system?  I agree on Clemson's system being what it is and that was part of my point.   I would like to see DJ in a pass happy, pro style offense.  The reason being if he's salvageable, he may be a target in the 2024 draft.  Anyone thinking we will be sitting at the top of the draft board for Maye is smoking something or just a UNC homer.

Also, good for Cade, but that's not what I was asking about.

12 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

So you think DJ isn't a bust and can flourish in the correct system?  I agree on Clemson's system being what it is and that was part of my point.   I would like to see DJ in a pass happy, pro style offense.  The reason being if he's salvageable, he may be a target in the 2024 draft.  Anyone thinking we will be sitting at the top of the draft board for Maye is smoking something or just a UNC homer.

Also, good for Cade, but that's not what I was asking about.

I mean, if I ran a more true pro style offense I would gamble on him.   There just aren't tons of them in college anymore.  

Good kid.  Good leader.  Does it all the right way.  That's what kept him in the starting role so long.   Think his confidence is completely shot though.  

I personally think DJ ends up being a package deal with his brother.   Think he is the #1 DE coming out of HS.  He has a pretty involved dad that mixes it up with stuff. 

• Pie 1