• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Payton and Wilson

Mr. Scot

15 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

That's genuinely possible.

Video of Bradshaw...

I love Terry's candor and take on the situation. He has the rings, the gold jacket, a career in all aspects of football that's over 50 years long... and he's never, ever tried to say he's the smartest guy in the room (he says quite the opposite most of the time). 

I'll take his word for it. 

I really think the Payton/Denver/Wilson triad is going to set the tone for the next decade in the NFL over who really controls a team... the coach or the star QB. We've been living in the age of the QB taking over control. Right now we see teams like Arizona, Green Bay, Tampa Bay basically neutered by their star QBs and the ridiculous contracts. We're about to see another one happen in Baltimore.

In Denver, it's going to be either one helluva public clash or somewhere behind closed doors Payton and Wilson are going to have to lay them on the table and see whose is the biggest. How that shakes out (really not trying to push the metaphor here) is going to set some dynamics. If Wilson loses out and then loses out on the field again, you can expect some of these big name QBs to be shown the door more handily than before and that perhaps the market won't be so hot for them.

There is a third option possible, too. And that's that Denver has been a damned sucker twice in this, at both QB and HQ. Now that would be a fun laugh.

2 hours ago, stbugs said:

Doesn’t have to go anywhere if he doesn’t like the situation. I don’t disagree with you that he thinks Wilson can be fixed. I just disagreed that he went to Denver in spite of Wilson. Contract/draft pick wise, Wilson is basically locked into the QB spot for 3 (maybe only 2) years. If he didn’t want to work with Wilson at all, he’s better to wait a year and get hired somewhere else next year.

He went for the money and to bolster his ego. He doesn't care whether Wilson is the qb or not because he didn't sign the guy. If Wilson still sucks Payton can always say Wilson is just garbage and can't be fixed. That's Denvers problem not his.

• Pie 1