• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

1 minute ago, Harbingers said:

No. Svech needs to come back when he is healed. We shouldn’t rush the man. 

Agreed, I’m tired of rushing our guys. Freddie gets a lot of poo for sitting out but that man is the poster child for coming back when he feels he’s ready. And it paid off during the playoffs, he was great.

• Pie 4

2 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

It’s not counting on your defense to score, it’s wanting your defense to be able to score.

I don’t know if Skjei will ever have a season like he did last year again and Pesce isn’t exactly an offensive defenseman.

The hope is that if you put an offensive defenseman with a defensive defenseman that they will balance each other out.

Karlsson and TDA should also help the PP because they are elite puck movers. The fanbase has been going bat poo crazy over our dumpy power play for the past year, well Karlsson and TDA should be able to help that.

We’re not getting Karlsson. There, I said it. 

Feel free to make fun on that infinitesimally small chance we do haha.

So I’ve seen a few interesting tidbits.

- In regards to Orlov, his camp actually reached out to us. Pretty crazy how far we’ve come where top end guys now want to play for us.

- The Canes among other teams are pissed out how little the cap rose this year and they are trying the best they can to add more pieces.

- The Canes were in on Bertuzzi, and it may have been a similar deal to what he got in Toronto. There also may still be interest in Tarasenko.

• Pie 3

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

No worries, now if the cap doesn’t go up like everyone expects then next year gets crazy.

Apparently teams (Carolina included) are already pissed it only went up $1M this season.

I feel like don is worried it won’t and that’s why he’s making all these moves now. 

The cap is fuged. Bettmen is fuging everyone. Including the owners in the long term. They really need to do something about him. 

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

8 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

So you’re saying we’re counting on our defense to score because or offense often doesn’t. Just like last year, haha.

Bunting should help the offense and maybe we get Svech back early.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet the chances are near zero we spend big money on a shitty defensive player like Karlsson because he can score.  I say that based on we picked up Orlov and that’s a good add.

Excuse the ornery, haven’t had my coffee yet.

It's a valid point. Our defense wasn't the issue last year, so why fix something that isn't broken. Sure, there are future cap considerations and trying to wrangle a couple extensions this season to avoid the pitfalls of trying to find money to sign Aho, Noesen, Tuevo, Martinook (all UFAs) and Necas, Drury, Jarvis, Suzuki and Rees (all RFAs), but still...

Ghost is out, TDA will be in; from an offensive standpoint, it's a Canes win. Defensively, not so much.

DeHaan is out, Orlov is in; huge Canes win.

Max Patch, Stastny, Stepan are out, Bunting is in. Another big win for the Canes.

Now, find a way to get DeBrincat, Arvidsson, Kempe... and not have to break the bank that Karlsson is wanting.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Agreed, I’m tired of rushing our guys. Freddie gets a lot of poo for sitting out but that man is the poster child for coming back when he feels he’s ready. And it paid off during the playoffs, he was great.

Svech already has knee issues, dating back to when chara slew foot him in that rut. We don’t need him going out there before he’s ready and tearing another one. 

If I had my way we wouldn’t play him until the playoffs. But the dude loves hockey too much for that to happen. 

• Pie 2

1 minute ago, Anybodyhome said:

It's a valid point. Our defense wasn't the issue last year, so why fix something that isn't broken. Sure, there are future cap considerations and trying to wrangle a couple extensions this season to avoid the pitfalls of trying to find money to sign Aho, Noesen, Tuevo, Martinook (all UFAs) and Necas, Drury, Jarvis, Suzuki and Rees (all RFAs), but still...

Ghost is out, TDA will be in; from an offensive standpoint, it's a Canes win. Defensively, not so much.

DeHaan is out, Orlov is in; huge Canes win.

Max Patch, Stastny, Stepan are out, Bunting is in. Another big win for the Canes.

Now, find a way to get DeBrincat, Arvidsson, Kempe... and not have to break the bank that Karlsson is wanting.

I’d take Kempe. The rest are meh. I don’t think DeBrincat or Arvidsson will fit our system under rod. 

• Pie 1

Welp, just dropped our cap space down to $2mil with the signing of Mendel. Given it would take trading players and every penny Canes have to get Karlsson this lends further evidence we don’t go that route.

Also Frank says (who the hell is Frank lol. Looked it up, Frank Seravalli a sports reporter) says Karlsson is not a fit for the Canes. Frank and I often agree haha.

2 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

Welp, just dropped our cap space down to $2mil with the signing of Mendel. Given it would take trading players and every penny Canes have to get Karlsson this lends further evidence we don’t go that route.

Also Frank says (who the hell is Frank lol. Looked it up, Frank Seravalli a sports reporter) says Karlsson is not a fit for the Canes. Frank and I often agree haha.

Ya there is no way. This also is the question on TDA. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Ya there is no way. This also is the question on TDA. 

Ooh hasn’t thought of that, right we just had enough cap for tonys $2.5mil before Mendel signing.

Still I guess all kinds of trades could still be made. But it ain’t gonna be Karlsson. Nope.