• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

2023 Off-Season Thread

My opinion is, if they're set on bringing back TDA, then let the Karlsson thing go. If a deal can't be done with Pesce, trade him and get a winger.

Slavin-Burns

Skjei/Orlov-Chatty

Orlov/Skjei-TDA

Coghlan

Which brings me to my next point- a winger.

I already listed Bunting some time back as a likely target, but let's look at a couple other possibilities:

Troy Terry (Ducks) UFA: 67 and 61 points the last 2 seasons, and he's only 25. Could fit under the cap with not too much effort and send the Ducks Pesce.

Alex DeBrincat (Sens) RFA: 187 G, 186 A (373 points) in 450 games during his 6 years in the league. Also only 25 years old. Would need Ottawa to retain some, give them Pesce and a prospect, I'm sure.

Viktor Arvidsson or Adrian Kempe (Kings): Will be a UFA after next season and the Kings have no defense and bad goalies. Offer up Pesce and I'll take the 45 points Viktor will put up or the 50 Kempe will get.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

So San Jose is willing to retain $3M on Karlsson. Just my own speculation but I doubt the Hurricanes want Karlsson at more than $6.5M.

So either 1) San Jose would have to retain more or 2) the Canes would need to find a third team and 3) Pesce would definitely be included in the deal.

Karlsson at $6.5M would effectively take up all of our cap space and we could no longer add TDA. Additionally, we probably couldn’t add another forward because Skjei would be needed since we wouldn’t be able to acquire TDA, meaning we couldn’t trade Skjei for forward help.

The team would probably be:

Bunting - Aho - Jarvis

Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Necas

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Noesen - Drury - Teravainen

Rees/Ponomarev/Suzuki

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Karlsson

Skjei - Chatfield

Coghlan

Andersen

Raanta

Kochetkov

• Pie 1

Just did a little more math on it and I guess the Canes could make it work.

Without Rees, Ponomarev, and Suzuki counting toward the cap, the Canes have around $5.3M in cap space.

If we got Karlsson at $6.5M and Pesce was included in the deal then we’d have $2.8M in cap space left. The Canes could then complete the TDA deal and then move Skjei for forward help or move him for picks and prospects and then sign Tarasenko with a $5M AAV. The Canes would also probably need to pull Coghlan’s QO so that we’d have around $1M to play with in regards to call-ups. The Canes could also put Svechnikov on LTIR to start the season so that Rees, Ponomarev, and Suzuki can all suit up for the Canes if need be.

The following team would have about $1M in cap space for call-up’s:

Bunting - Aho - Tarasenko

Svechnikov - Kotkaniemi - Necas

Martinook - Staal - Fast

Noesen - Drury - Teravainen

Slavin - Burns

Orlov - Karlsson

Chatfield - TDA

Andersen

Raanta

• Pie 1

I think it’s obvious what the Canes are doing.

We need more offense and defensemen spend more time on the ice than forwards, it’s just a fact.

If you have a guy like Burns, Karlsson, and DeAngelo on each pairing then you have a guy that can get you 50 points. Those three aren’t exactly stalwarts defensively but the hope is that if you pair them with a Slavin, Orlov, and Chatfield that they will be successful.

GMDW has done a good job of reworking the team so if we acquire both Karlsson and TDA, I’ll hold my judgment until I see what the team looks like on opening night.

• Beer 1

What the Canes do regarding Pesce is based more on contract negotiations with his agent than GM wanting to trade him to get someone like Karlsson. He’s certain to get more money as an UFA after next season so if they can’t come to an agreement Canes will want to trade for value while he’s still under contract.

https://theathletic.com/4627056/2023/06/21/hurricanes-pesce-contract-trade/?amp=1

Edited by DavidEng
  • Pie 1

1 hour ago, DavidEng said:

What the Canes do regarding Pesce is based more on contract negotiations with his agent than GM wanting to trade him to get someone like Karlsson. He’s certain to get more money as an UFA after next season so if they can’t come to an agreement Canes will want to trade for value while he’s still under contract.

https://theathletic.com/4627056/2023/06/21/hurricanes-pesce-contract-trade/?amp=1

Agreed but they have a type that are after.

• Pie 1

6 hours ago, DavidEng said:

Most teams aren’t the devils though. They aren’t going to give up big stuff to get a one year away from UFA player who most certainly is going to require big bucks. If there were Pesce would have been moved before FA began. Though I read one article that said Pesce has 15 teams on NTC, but capfriendly doesn’t have him listed as NTC so dunno. If that’s the case maybe that’s why they are shifting to the lefties(aka skjei) but Skjei does have NTC listed. 

What I want to know is how don is going to get Aho done with 1.5M in cap space. 

Edited by Harbingers
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

Most teams aren’t the devils though. They aren’t going to give up big stuff to get a one year away from UFA player who most certainly is going to require big bucks. If there were Pesce would have been moved before FA began. Though I read one article that said Pesce has 15 teams on NTC, but capfriendly doesn’t have him listed as NTC so dunno. If that’s the case maybe that’s why they are shifting to the lefties(aka skjei) but Skjei does have NTC listed. 

What I want to know is how don is going to get Aho done with 1.5M in cap space. 

Aho is already under contract this year so this years cap space doesn’t matter, it’s next years that we are looking at.

Teuvo comes off the board next year and the cap is projected to rise by about $4M. So there’s Aho’s $9.5M.

• Pie 2

10 minutes ago, MillionDollarCam said:

Aho is already under contract this year so this years cap space doesn’t matter, it’s next years that we are looking at.

Teuvo comes off the board next year and the cap is projected to rise by about $4M. So there’s Aho’s $9.5M.

Good point. I always get hazy on how extensions actually work in hockey. 

• Pie 1

9 hours ago, MillionDollarCam said:

I think it’s obvious what the Canes are doing.

We need more offense and defensemen spend more time on the ice than forwards, it’s just a fact.

If you have a guy like Burns, Karlsson, and DeAngelo on each pairing then you have a guy that can get you 50 points. Those three aren’t exactly stalwarts defensively but the hope is that if you pair them with a Slavin, Orlov, and Chatfield that they will be successful.

GMDW has done a good job of reworking the team so if we acquire both Karlsson and TDA, I’ll hold my judgment until I see what the team looks like on opening night.

So you’re saying we’re counting on our defense to score because or offense often doesn’t. Just like last year, haha.

Bunting should help the offense and maybe we get Svech back early.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet the chances are near zero we spend big money on a shitty defensive player like Karlsson because he can score.  I say that based on we picked up Orlov and that’s a good add.

Excuse the ornery, haven’t had my coffee yet.

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

So you’re saying we’re counting on our defense to score because or offense often doesn’t. Just like last year, haha.

If I were a betting man, and I am, I would bet the chances are near zero we spend big money on a shitty defensive player like Karlsson because he can score.  I say that based on we picked up Orlov and that’s a good add.

It’s not counting on your defense to score, it’s wanting your defense to be able to score.

I don’t know if Skjei will ever have a season like he did last year again and Pesce isn’t exactly an offensive defenseman.

The hope is that if you put an offensive defenseman with a defensive defenseman that they will balance each other out.

Karlsson and TDA should also help the PP because they are elite puck movers. The fanbase has been going bat poo crazy over our dumpy power play for the past year, well Karlsson and TDA should be able to help that.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, DavidEng said:

No. Svech needs to come back when he is healed. We shouldn’t rush the man. 

• Pie 3