• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sign VICK this Offseason!

dmo4455

Furrey wins Ed Block Courage Award

Zac Jackson, Staff Writer

Wide receiver Mike Furrey has been chosen by his teammates as the Browns' 2009 recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award.

The Ed Block Courage Award is an annual recognition given to a member of each of the 32 NFL teams who exemplifies the qualities of Ed Block, the former Head Athletic Trainer of the Baltimore Colts. The qualities of courage, compassion, commitment and community serve as the criteria.

Browns head trainer Joe Sheehan presented the award to Furrey Tuesday night at the annual Deck The House event, a Providence House Fundraiser, at Cleveland Browns Stadium.

The Browns became the 11th NFL team to join the Courage House Support Network in 1999. The Courage House award was given to the Providence House for embracing and supporting children in the community faced with abuse, neglect and risk due to family crisis.

Furrey's nomination was based on his extensive work in the community which includes volunteering his time with the Cleveland Foodbank, Cleveland Christian Home, Cleveland Clinic Rehab Hospital, NFL Hometown Huddle and numerous school visits, among other community events and initiatives.

"It's an honor to win the Ed Block Courage Award, and it's very humbling as well," Furrey said. "I don't think it's something I deserve. I hope it brings recognition to our outstanding training staff for the hours of work they put in week in and week out.

"To get this award in this setting, with hundreds of people coming out to support the Providence House and the amazing things they do to help kids in dire situations, that makes it better."

After missing the final six games of the 2008 season due to injury as a member of the Detroit Lions, Furrey has returned this year and played in all 11 games for the Browns. He ranks second on the team with 23 receptions for 170 yards. In addition to his offensive responsibilities, he has also seen extensive action as a defensive back, totaling two tackles and two passes defensed, including breaking up a potential touchdown pass in the end zone last week at Cincinnati.

All 32 Ed Block Courage Award winners will be honored at an event in Baltimore on March 7-10.

The highlighted text above seems to be a lot different than Mr. Vick's press release. Compare this statement with the previous one:

"It means a great deal to me," Vick said Wednesday. "I was voted unanimously by my teammates. They know what I've been through. I've been through a lot. It's been great to come back and have an opportunity to play and be with a great group of guys. I'm just ecstatic about that and I enjoy every day."

"I've overcome a lot, more than probably one single individual can handle or bear," Vick said. "You ask certain people to walk through my shoes, they probably couldn't do. Probably 95 percent of the people in this world because nobody had to endure what I've been through, situations I've been put in, situations I put myself in and decisions I have made, whether they have been good or bad.

"There's always consequences behind certain things and repercussions behind them, too. And then you have to wake up every day and face the world, whether they perceive you in the right perspective, it's a totally different outlook on you. You have to be strong, believe in yourself, be optimistic. That's what I've been able to do. That's what I display."

I'm all for second chances. I'm all for being the best person you can be. Tooting your own horn after being given the Ed Block Courage Award for "overcoming" his legal troubles like they were some obstacle he couldn't control and being allowed to get a job in the NFL again? Did I miss something? Maybe he made some other comments about his contributions to the community that were not included in the story. I chose Mike Furrey of the Browns as a comparison only because he was the first other NFL player I found when searching for award recipients in 2009. I'm sure that the other guys that were awarded the honor had similar stories and comments as Furrey. I'm talking about this because of Vick's response. I really can't believe the selfishness of it. Even if he is a reformed convict, it would be better to highlight the purpose of the award rather than seize it as an opportunity to promote yourself. If Jerry Richardson decided he would rather keep folks like that off his payroll, I'd have to agree with it. My employer wouldn't hire a convicted felon and that is probably the same policy for most employers. Michael Vick was allowed to work in the NFL again as soon as he was out of jail. That was a blessing for him that he had not yet earned. This award is the same thing. I hope he will live up to it.

I still don't get why people think the NFL should have punished Vick beyond the almost 2 years in prison he did along with the millions and millions of dollars he lost and the damage to his reputation... what more was there to take from him?

He did his time, he re-payed his debt to society, and he was allowed to return to work... what's wrong with that?

The highlighted text above seems to be a lot different than Mr. Vick's press release. Compare this statement with the previous one:

I'm all for second chances. I'm all for being the best person you can be. Tooting your own horn after being given the Ed Block Courage Award for "overcoming" his legal troubles like they were some obstacle he couldn't control and being allowed to get a job in the NFL again? Did I miss something? Maybe he made some other comments about his contributions to the community that were not included in the story. I chose Mike Furrey of the Browns as a comparison only because he was the first other NFL player I found when searching for award recipients in 2009. I'm sure that the other guys that were awarded the honor had similar stories and comments as Furrey. I'm talking about this because of Vick's response. I really can't believe the selfishness of it. Even if he is a reformed convict, it would be better to highlight the purpose of the award rather than seize it as an opportunity to promote yourself. If Jerry Richardson decided he would rather keep folks like that off his payroll, I'd have to agree with it. My employer wouldn't hire a convicted felon and that is probably the same policy for most employers. Michael Vick was allowed to work in the NFL again as soon as he was out of jail. That was a blessing for him that he had not yet earned. This award is the same thing. I hope he will live up to it.

He's always been selfish. Just about any interview he's ever had involves alot of "I"s.

I still don't get why people think the NFL should have punished Vick beyond the almost 2 years in prison he did along with the millions and millions of dollars he lost and the damage to his reputation... what more was there to take from him?

He did his time, he re-payed his debt to society, and he was allowed to return to work... what's wrong with that?

The NFL doesn't "punish" anyone. It's like any job. If you violate the conditions of employment, then you reap what you sew. I don't run the NFL so I can't make any rules about employee requirements.

He doesn't deserve a Courage Award. What has he done to show courage? His whole speech is about "I did this" "I did that" "this happened to me". Nothing happened to him, he chose his actions and suffered the consequences, I'm confused as to how coming back from that showed courage. His agent, team, and NFL told him what he needed to do to come back; not something of his own goodwill.

I really don't see what you are talking about in the press release.

He doesn't deserve a Courage Award. What has he done to show courage? His whole speech is about "I did this" "I did that" "this happened to me". Nothing happened to him, he chose his actions and suffered the consequences, I'm confused as to how coming back from that showed courage. His agent, team, and NFL told him what he needed to do to come back; not something of his own goodwill.

It's just the award they could give him. Really, if they were to give him an award specifically for what he has done then it would be called something else. He might not deserve a "courage" award but I'm sure they voted him to it because they felt he deserved some type of reward.

Also, I don't have any feelings for Vick (wow, that sounded gay); I never really paid any attention to him or the Falcons. However, I think he is getting too much criticism, even for this award.

You're right KT. I do hate Vick. But I LOVE Donovan McNabb! Explain away...

I heard he makes great chopped liver. If that's true how can you hate somebody that makes great chopped liver. I know I can't hate somebody that makes great chopped liver. Vick hates chopped liver....just sayin'

Archived