• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Post Mortem: Game 2

Mr. Scot

2 hours ago, Green-Ghost said:

We play the Seahawks next week.

A win will cure an awful lot of ills here.  I still believe that starting a rookie QB, the 1st season, will have many challenges.

All due respect, it looks to me that expectations are all wrong.  It is only the second game of the season with a rookie quarterback. 

I think a good quarterback needs to have talent and experience.  There is no way a quarterback will have experience in only his second game as an NFL starter.

Think of it this way, a soldier can prepare by running obstacle courses, target, practice, etc.  but when you put the soldier out in the battle, when people are shooting at him, it is a totally different situation. All of the training and preparation in the world does not include the real war.

Bryce Young needs more than two games to gain experience.

Keep the faith!!!!!!

All valid...

Said it elsewhere though; it doesn't even take "faith" at this point.

It's just the acknowledgment that we don't have a full picture just yet.

I went back and watched all of Bryce's throws.  It wasn't near as bad as I thought watching it live.  He has a great ability to snap throw with accuracy at the drop of a dime.  Many times he's going one way and just kind of snaps his hips back and he's in position to throw.  Very, very much like a short stop in baseball.

My biggest take away from rewatching the game was how all over the place everything seems.  They are obviously trying to figure out what works, who works, etc. 

They seem like the sports team at the start of any classic sports movie.  An island of misfits toys who learn to grow and succeed together when they learn to trust each other.

And if you thought Micheal Jordan was bad, focus on Cade Mays.  You'll start having flash backs.  He was getting rag dolled and throw around every play.  I think Bryce could block better.  It was that bad.

Zavala also had a rough game, most likely due to the Saints having a really good defense.  I've noticed a few times as well Icky getting killed on speed rushes.

I came away impressed with Bryce's ability to scramble and run when he commits to a decision.  Many times and I noticed this in college, he holds onto the ball too long sometimes trying to make a play.

That rollout pass to Chark was a thing of beauty.  Even when it's not complete you can see the improve skills he has.  The 2 point conversation being a prime example. 

When Mingo develops or when Bryce and his present or future weapons get more in sync I think you'll see some magical backyard football plays.

I'm really think this lurch out of the gate is due to everything on the team from players to scheme to coaches being brand new.

• Beer 1