• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

DJ Johnson?

ATLpanther

13 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A lot of time our drafting feels like we predetermine our picks. Like we're taking a WR in the 2nd, an edge rusher in the 3rd, etc. We don't seem to do a good job of taking advantage of the strength of draft classes or letting the draft come to us. I get it, you may have it in your head you'd like to draft a certain position in the mid-rounds then there's a run on that position in the late 2nd/early 3rd. The rational thing to do is simply target another position. The Panthers thing to do is panic trade up and reach at the position. That's how you end up trading up to draft DJ Johnson.

Been saying this for years. Again, I know Gettleman wasn’t the best GM and made plenty of mistakes and had some bad luck, (Daryl Williams and KB, yes KB, were solid until they had knee injuries) but he seemed to understand strengths and adjusting. Fitt seems to be making the same mistakes that Hurney did. Corral was a trade up in a poo QB class. DJ Johnson was a panic move. Hurney traded up for Little in a poo T class (great interior OL class which we ignored) and that was also a panic. Grier was another panic. Hurney thought he would get scooped by someone else. You could say Fitt had the same with Darnold, bidding against ourselves instead of letting the Jets part ways after selecting Wilson and not wanting to  pay Darnold 5th year.

Since Hurney came back (and for a few of Gettleman’s picks), I think the huddle hive mind would have absolutely out-drafted Hurney 2.0/Fitt. 

Just now, TheCasillas said:

The huddle hivemind predicted and chose four of the picks we made this year. It was a super positive place here on draft weekend for every pick but DJ Johnson.

And? We also were very happy with DJ Moore (needed WR as bad as now) and loved Burns. I still think we would have had better drafts from 2018-2023.

2019 and 2021 are marquee drafts where the huddle would have made a huge difference. We don’t trade up for Little, we take IOL in the 2nd (deep and good players) and Crosby with the 3rd we gave up. We had Crosby and several IOL in among our limited private visits. In 2021, we needed IOL again and could have had two studs instead of a WR3 who hasn’t been good and a long snapper. Just not doing Little and going OL heavy knowing our OL was poo would be enough to easily beat Hurney 2.0/Fitt.

Personally, this year I think I would rather have traded up for La Porta/Kincaid instead of trading up for DJ or taken Musgrave to draft the huge strength of TEs. Heck, if it were me, I’d probably also have pick 36 from the Rams so we could have gotten both a TE and maybe Mingo.