• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Hopefully 2010 Draft Be As Good As 2009

KatsAzz

The 2009 draft COULD be one of the best we have had as we litterally drafted by need. Every single position we drafted we either need an immediate starter or a starter by 2011. We could well generate 3 or 4 starters and 1 or 2 contributors by their third seasons, which is usually the benchmark for draft classes.

What does "literally drafted by need" mean?

Twas a poor choice of words wasn't it.

Essentially I meant that every drafted player we chose, we had an immediate need OR had an aging vet in place. Usually we go 'Best Player Available' resulting in a plethora of LBs, such as Connor, who do not always fit our system.

Brown - Peppers was unknown and other than Johnson we had no DEs signed through 2010. Pass rush was also a huge need for us.

Martin - Lost Lucas and thus needed a slot CB. Fate intervenes and we now have a battle for the FS spot, which most would conceed was the weak point in our secondary.

Irvin - DT was an obvious hole and before the season we only had two average DTs in Lewis and Ma'ake.

Goodson - Only player which was not drafted by need. I guess we hoped he could return kicks. Unless we had planned to lose one of our premier backs...

Fiammetta - Hoover has one or two years left in him and he can tutor Tony. FB takes a few years to get accustomed to, so we drafted with a small over lap.

Robinson - Vincent. FA in 2010, also getting on in years, this allows Duke one or two years to adjust and then fill in once Vincent is not retained.

Munnerlyn - Jones/ST. Lost Jones as a punt returner. Fate intervened and he became our nickel we were searching for.

At the moment Brown, Martin, Fiammetta & Robinson have genuine shots at claiming a starting role by their third year. Brown and Martin have been given opportunities and not looked out of place. Fiammetta and Robinson have an aging vet between them and the open competition for the starting position.

Munnerlyn is already contributing as a ST'er, a returner and as a nickel corner.

Irvin and Goodson are the odd men out at the moment, but depending on what the FO decides to do, they at least provide depth in two of our most critical positions.

All I am trying to say is that every one of our 09 draftees has a legit chance to make it as a starter. I am NOT saying they will, just that they have a chance and if everything pans out, then we could have a fantastic draft by year three.

I'd expect us to draft rookies that might actually contribute. Drafting only players who might contribute in a couple of years is a shitty way to draft when you need talent right away.

Rookies aren't always good right out of the draft (lol, who would think?) and even first rounders often don't turn out as expected (which you should know...). It's often better to find players you feel will work with your team and who can be "trained" and become great players. This doesn't mean five years. It can mean as little as a few months or a year.

See Woodie:

Very few rookies actually get extensive playing time and are integral to their team's base schemes. It's just that fans hear of a handful of rookie contributors and think their team should have done better...no matter how unrealistic that view is. Most rookies' biggest contribution comes on special teams and in spot duty. And that is exactly what we got out of most of our rookies.

All I am trying to say is that every one of our 09 draftees has a legit chance to make it as a starter. I am NOT saying they will, just that they have a chance and if everything pans out, then we could have a fantastic draft by year three.

I agree with you.

Aside from quarterback, which they obviously didn't address, the Panthers didn't really have any glaring needs going into last year. We needed depth at some positions, but there were no areas (again, aside from quarterback) where we desperately needed help (and if we did, a rookie isn't likely to be that instant savior anyway).

They are all rookies. What did you expect...we draft nothing but instant pro bowlers? I have to agree with the OP. This draft shows a lot of potential. The next couple of years will tell us for sure.

I concur. Next year, they could get better. Let pray they do. :)

Twas a poor choice of words wasn't it.

Essentially I meant that every drafted player we chose, we had an immediate need OR had an aging vet in place. Usually we go 'Best Player Available' resulting in a plethora of LBs, such as Connor, who do not always fit our system.

Brown - Peppers was unknown and other than Johnson we had no DEs signed through 2010. Pass rush was also a huge need for us.

Martin - Lost Lucas and thus needed a slot CB. Fate intervenes and we now have a battle for the FS spot, which most would conceed was the weak point in our secondary.

Irvin - DT was an obvious hole and before the season we only had two average DTs in Lewis and Ma'ake.

Goodson - Only player which was not drafted by need. I guess we hoped he could return kicks. Unless we had planned to lose one of our premier backs...

Fiammetta - Hoover has one or two years left in him and he can tutor Tony. FB takes a few years to get accustomed to, so we drafted with a small over lap.

Robinson - Vincent. FA in 2010, also getting on in years, this allows Duke one or two years to adjust and then fill in once Vincent is not retained.

Munnerlyn - Jones/ST. Lost Jones as a punt returner. Fate intervened and he became our nickel we were searching for.

At the moment Brown, Martin, Fiammetta & Robinson have genuine shots at claiming a starting role by their third year. Brown and Martin have been given opportunities and not looked out of place. Fiammetta and Robinson have an aging vet between them and the open competition for the starting position.

Munnerlyn is already contributing as a ST'er, a returner and as a nickel corner.

Irvin and Goodson are the odd men out at the moment, but depending on what the FO decides to do, they at least provide depth in two of our most critical positions.

Brilliant posts there. I got to agree with you on many of your views there. I'm not concern about our rookies right now when they get more experience next year. I know Martin & Brown will get more chances next year along with Brown needing to add some more muscles mass.

Archived