• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

I just finished reading both books by Patrick Rothfuss. It was a great change to fantasy coming from George RR Martin.

Yeah, after the second book was done I had a similar need for the third book like I do The Winds of Winter by Martin...

Kvothe is an interesting character, and I really liked the incorporation of sygaldry/physics/sympathy etc. that Rothfuss uses, among other things...

Yeah, after the second book was done I had a similar need for the third book like I do The Winds of Winter by Martin...

Kvothe is an interesting character, and I really liked the incorporation of sygaldry/physics/sympathy etc. that Rothfuss uses, among other things...

i'm in the same boat... can't wait for the third book

took a while to get thru the first half of the first book, but by the end of it, i was hooked. the second book was fantastic and now i just follow rothfuss' blog waiting for news on the third book

at least from following his blog, i found out that he's already signed a deal for a second trilogy with his publisher which will probably take place in the same universe

i'm in the same boat... can't wait for the third book

took a while to get thru the first half of the first book, but by the end of it, i was hooked. the second book was fantastic and now i just follow rothfuss' blog waiting for news on the third book

at least from following his blog, i found out that he's already signed a deal for a second trilogy with his publisher which will probably take place in the same universe

Yeah I try to keep up with his blog too... He does a lot for that charity, and that is great, but I want book 3 lol

Ive just got to mention this series by Hugh Howey again. Wool is the fist set of 5 novellas and is well written but pretty typical post apocalyptic fare. The human race reduced to a fraction of its current state and living in a 140 story silo. Taboos surrounding even speaking of going outside and a mystery surrounding why the sheriff would commit suicide by asking to be put out of the airlock.

Well I just finished the second book of the followup trilogy and Its really solid work. The second series of novellas is actually a prequel to the original that deals with the apocalypse itself and how humanity was relegated to the life they have in the original series. So far its following one of the architects of doomsday and how he copes with the future he has contributed to as well as leading to a linkage with the original series by telling the stories of some characters centuries after the spoilerspoilerspoiler. The series is the Shift Trilogy.

Seriously guys, this Howey dude is a solid author who has self published his way to where he is. Do yourself (and him) a favor and check out his work.

Just bought the Wool series... It's only $3.99 for all 5 novellas on the Kindle.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anybody has mentioned it yet, but the Malazan Book of the Fallen fantasy series is one of the best out there.

It's more down to earth with its dialogue and interaction between characters than other epic fantasy works like Wheel of Time.

It's like ASoIaF, with the realistic take in its approach with showing the humanity of the characters.

I personally find it both more entertaining and engaging than more popular series like WoT(good but VERY detailed oriented in every chapter, down to the paragraphs) and ASoIaF(also great, but more filler in certain parts).

It's reminiscent of The Black Company, if any of you have read that.

MBotF is one of the most popular epic fantasy series (multi million books sold), but nowhere near as popular as works by GRRM or Robert Jordan. Still, if you enjoyed either of their works, I highly suggest reading Mazalan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson.

http://en.wikipedia....k_of_the_Fallen

The series just finished last year, so you can get pretty much all of them in small paperback form if wanted.

Man... I'm only about 100 or so pages into Gardens of the Moon, and I'm having a hard time getting into this stuff so far... The whole sorcery aspect to the way they are talking about battle is just kinda boring to me so far... I don't see the point in hordes of soldiers if they have a team of such powerful magic users...

Also, when Hairlock possesses the marionette, it was literally a LOL and a WTF moment at the same time for me...

I'll finish this book, but I don't know if I can continue the series if it doesn't start doing some sort of major turnaround for me or something...

Does it get any better?

finally started The Way of Kings... didn't really want to jump in to this so early in the series' life since it's supposed to be something like 10 novels and only the first one's out so far, but I only had so many options left on the shelf of stuff I haven't already read. And I really wanted to get into something good, and I've enjoyed everything I've read from Brandon Sanderson so far.

So far, so good, but only about 40-50 pages in.

• 2 months later...

I had to put Gardens of the Moon aside and I happened upon Wool at Walmart of all places.

I'm about halfway through it and would recommend it wholeheartedly thus far. It'd be a really quick read for anyone that sets time aside for reading, as my reading time is usually only in bursts of 15-30 minutes.

It is very well written and easy to follow though. And, it is a cool concept for anyone who's a fan of futuristic dystopian future fiction.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...