• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for some new Sci/Fi or Fantasy novels.

Kurb

damnit bronn help me pick out a dark epic adventure for adults.

I'm not too well versed still, besides some of the more popular choices I have found online. I'm not sure what all you've read either...

Maybe Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson? It's the first book in the Malazan series, and the only one I've read so far...

It has a lot of people to keep up with, kinda like the ASOIAF stuff, and has some good dark elements. It has a little more magic than ASOIAF so I dunno if that is a turnoff for you... It took me a while to get into it but I think I blew through from the middle to the end.

I can't recommend Patrick Rothfuss' books enough... There are some darker things in there too, and I like his take on magic (he likens it more to something like physics alteration)... Kvothe (the main character) is a younger guy for most of the story, but he goes through some very adult situations (some bow chicka wow wow even)...

The Lies of Locke Lamora was good as poo too... and I would compare that one and Rothfuss' to GRRM as far as storytelling goes...

Brandon Sanderson's The Stormlight Archives series is pretty legit. Started reading him after he finished the wheel of time. He did a better job than Jordan did after he figured the characters out imo. Only two books out so far but they are worth the read.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

i had the first book on my nightstand for months... just couldn't get in to it.  the beginning just doddled along forever and couldn't hold my attention

i really like sanderson, so i'm sure i'll give it a go again when i'm really in the mood to read something, but it was hard to get into

I'm not too well versed still, besides some of the more popular choices I have found online. I'm not sure what all you've read either...

Maybe Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson? It's the first book in the Malazan series, and the only one I've read so far...

It has a lot of people to keep up with, kinda like the ASOIAF stuff, and has some good dark elements. It has a little more magic than ASOIAF so I dunno if that is a turnoff for you... It took me a while to get into it but I think I blew through from the middle to the end.

I can't recommend Patrick Rothfuss' books enough... There are some darker things in there too, and I like his take on magic (he likens it more to something like physics alteration)... Kvothe (the main character) is a younger guy for most of the story, but he goes through some very adult situations (some bow chicka wow wow even)...

The Lies of Locke Lamora was good as poo too... and I would compare that one and Rothfuss' to GRRM as far as storytelling goes...

Went in today to get Name of the Wind but they didn't have it so I picked up "Hood" http://www.amazon.com/Hood-Raven-King-Book-1/dp/1595540881

• Pie 1

for those of us waiting for the third book in Rothfuss's Kingkiller Chronicle series... this is coming out first

http://www.amazon.com/Slow-Regard-Silent-Things-Kingkiller/dp/0756410436/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1402063568&sr=1-1&keywords=patrick+rothfuss

91QidfpRuaL.jpg

yeah I had seen that... apparently a tale of Auri...

I will probably snag it when it comes out. Rothfuss' prose is up there with Martin's in my book, and I really enjoy his storytelling.

Like Martin, though, he needs to focus on the next book in his series lol...

yeah, agree all the way around... he's probably the best author i've read in recent years outside of GRRM. i follow him on FB and all he does his talk about how behind schedule he is, which is crazy to me considering these books are the only books he has to stand on as far as goodwill from publishers/readers go

at least get your first series out, then if you want to be a diva author, go to town lol

• Pie 1

haha he does do a lot of charity stuff and does seem to stay extremely grounded though... I'm sure he feels the pressure, but I think his early successes have made him a popular target for other people to seek out for side work...I don't envy someone like that, having to balance so much with a private life too...

• Pie 1

Just finished the First Law Trilogy.  Can't recommend it enough.  I loved it. 

It had some of the gritty darkness and realism that a George Martin book has, it had great POV characters that you really care about.  None of them are inheritably good, as they all have dark flaws.  One is a barbarian and mass murderer, one is a torturer, one is self centered asshole, etc. 

If you like ASOFAI, you would probably like these 3 books.  Really it is just one big book in 3 volumes.  The last book was impossible to put down for me.

Good stuff.  Would recommend.

ETA:  this trilogy also had one of my favorite characters in recent memory.  Logen Ninefingers, none as the "Bloody Nine".

He is a badass

Edited by teeray

I read somewhere that the Kingkiller Chronicles is being adapted to a TV series. I haven't read these yet, so how do you feel about that?