• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Special Team Signings

chknwing

I don't even know what position Bates was supposed to be other than a return man.

Lol...he played WR when he was #82 then they changed his number to 24 in an attempt to try him at RB. That's how unimportant it is that your special teamers contribute elsewhere. It's also when our special teams were the best in the league.

Special teams accounts for up to 1/4th of each pro football game. And that quarter of the game can make a huge impact on the outcome.

Defenders rely on great kickoff and punt coverage to keep an opponent pinned deep in their own territory. Each yard that the special teams can keep the opponent from getting makes it that much harder for them to score. Why is it important to boom kicks out of the endzone during kick-offs? Because even high power offenses fail more often than not if they have to go 80 or more yards to score. Crank it down to 75 yards to score and their odds of scoring increases greatly. And if they should break one and get past the 50-yard line, they are almost guaranteed of coming away with at least a field goal.

So gunners and overall kick coverage are important. On punts, being able to down the ball within the opponent's 10-yard line starts a clock on when you will most likely score again. If an offense fumbles or throws an INT here, it is almost a guaranteed score. And if they can be held and forced into a three and out, chances are you'll get it inside of the fifty. (See above).

And no one should have to explain how important field goals and extra points are.

Special teams are important and there are some folks who specialize in playing on them. And just remember, who would have known about Steve Smith if he hadn't been our kick returner?

This...

FIRE EVERYONE, NOW!

I traded Stewart, Peppers, and Smitty on madden.. They didn't play on special teams and I got 5 #1 draft picks... Needless to say my WR core is amazing and DWill is the next coming of Barry Sanders... My defense owns because I found a great DT and Kemo stuffs the run really well. Brown is better than Peppers on the game and I got a solid DE on the other side to help with run support. Gamble gets 16 sacks a season because I rush him off the edge.. It usually works 1 or 2 times a game. Godfrey is a beast, I moved him to SS and Marshall to FS.. Picked up a FA CB to carry the load and picked up Fabian Washington as Nickle.. I'm a fool for speed. I'm four years into the franchise and Beason is a god among men. Davis and my FA acquisition are fast and reliable... I picked up Cutler and throw 7,000+ yards a season...

DAMNIT, why can't our coaches figure this stuff out! If I can do it, they can too!

Signing players exclusively to play Special Teams is kinda stupid. You waste roster spots this way. The idea is to find players who can play other positions as well as special teams. Now if Wright cant catch a football, hes not needed, if Hudson cant cover a wr, hes not needed. Point is, carolina had good special teams when they had players that could play multiple positions.

Steve Tasker (7 time probowler)......ever heard of him. Do you know what position he played?

Archived