• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3 of 5

Claws

The jarring sight of tens of thousands of empty seats in the 158,000-seat venue was both deflating and alarming – a kick in the gut for those who make their living in the sport.

Bristol's failure to sell out – or even come close – may very well become the new poster child for NASCAR's decline. People will now start sentences with "Even Bristol..." when they're talking about the health of the sport.

And while it's easy to place all the blame on the economy, that's a cop out. There are other factors at work here.

NASCAR had seen poor crowds in California and Atlanta. But those were expected, given the recent history of events at those tracks.

Leading up to last weekend, it was generally accepted that Bristol wouldn't sell out for the first time in more than 27 years. The scary part, though, was just how bad it was.

NASCAR's official attendance estimate was 138,000 (20,000 short of a sellout). Those numbers are often appear inflated by 10,000 to 15,000, so it was likely that there were at least 30,000 unoccupied seats at Bristol.

http://www.sbnation.com/2010/3/22/1384758/bristol-attendance-nascar-food-city-500-empty-seats

I do appreciate the changes Nascar attempts to make to make the sport more appeling to us, and I remember last year they were reducing prices at tracks across the US. It seems like they are doing the right things, but it doesn't matter what they do.

I know this season I didn't watch races because of USA vs Canada 1 and 2, and the NCAA tournament. Beside that I started off a HMS fan.... but I am tired of JJ. It's to the point when he wins a race I don't even like to watch the post race show or see anything once he crosses the line.

I am a huge Kyle Busch fan and since the later part of last season he hasn't been as relevant in the sprint cup races.

Other sports are still doing good and raising prices so we can't blame it all on the economy.

I don't know the issue or what Nascar can do.

What doesn't make sense to me is if they were selling out before why are fans not supporting or going to the races like they used to. This means nascar is losing fans that used to watch! Why are people leaving the sport? For those who have been watching for years what has changed?? Is it the drivers?? I know the impact Dale and Dale Jr. had on the sport, but is there no other drivers that can bring fans into the stands like them??

I usually go to both races every year at LMS. I know for me its a lot more than just tickets. I live in Raleigh and make the 2 and 1/2 hour drive to Concord. So you have gas to pay for. We usually make a day out of it so we have food, beer, drinks, and other stuff to buy. Hotel after the race if I have no DD. Last years 600 rain out I had to get 2 nights at a hotel. It got expensive fast. I think a lot of people travel to see races so its not just buying a ticket.

Also people like my dad who used to be big into nascar years ago, barely even watches a race now. Ticket prices I think are very fair. I get tickets for LMS for about $45 each for great seats. There's nothing like being there at the race.

I think nascar has lost its blue-collar roots and now it just seems like its a lot of young pretty boys who grew up on the silver-spoon racing today.

Personally I think a lot of it had to do with the death of the greatest icon the sport had ever known. Once he passed then things picked up for the short term but overall it's been down. People tuned in to see what's next in a way and held no interest. Between that and moving dates from the South, more of your Southern fans just shut the door on it. With the Chase, and the similiarities of the cars, it ain't what it used to be. jmo

I'll always watch.

Regardless, I'm one of those, they can kick me and i'll still watch.

Archived