• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Comedy IQ

Captroop

I made an observation recently watching standup on Comedy Central, and I wanted to see if you all agree or disagree.

It seems to me, that people make fun of people just slightly dumber than them. Right? To find comedy in some group of people, you have to be as smart as they are to understand them, and then be at least slightly smarter to find absurdity in their actions. People don't often mock those smarter than them, because they don't really understand them enough to find the comedy. Converely they don't often mock people a lot dumber because it just seems mean. Accepted?

So by extension, you can use someone's sense of humor; who they mock, as a rudimentary guage of intelligence.

To whit:

• Dennis Miller, Lewis Black and Jon Stewart make fun of politicians, business owners, lawyers, and other intellectuals. A pretty smart group of people, making them arguably in the top percentile as far as intellect goes.

• Ron White, Wanda Sykes, and Dennis Leary make fun of politicians, but they don't seem to hit the other intellectuals; probably putting them on par or slightly below that rung.

• Jerry Seinfeld, Dave Chappelle, Bill Cosby, and Dane Cook mock the middle class and every day people and situations, making them slightly smarter than the average person.

• Jeff Foxworthy mocks rednecks and hillbillies, but tends not to hit the middle class, putting him just below that mark.

• Ralphie May and Larry the Cable Guy make fun of dumb people, and not much else, so their IQs are probably slightly lower than average.

• And Carlos Mencia makes fun of retards...... so yeah.

Archived