• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Moving to Washington DC

Niner National

So, basically Germantown. The closer you live to D.C. on I-270, the more expensive housing gets. In descending order, here are the relative housing prices.

Bethesda

Rockville

Gaithersburg

Germantown (Home of Teh Captroop)

Clarksburg

Frederick (Will have to battle 270 South in the morning to get to work, so not recommended)

I would recommend Clarksburg. It is a rapidly developing area, with lots of new houses at great prices. Welcome to DC!

Rockville is more expensive (markedly so), and is very crowded. On the positive side is there is a lot to do there, it has several Metro stations, and you can take I-270 North in the morning, and South in the evening, against traffic both ways (which anyone in the area will tell you is a huge positive).

But there are places in Gaithersburg that meet your requirements, if you want to stay close to your job. If you live at or near the Washingtonian Center (better known as the Rio, which has pretty reasonable housing prices and is a very safe area) you will be just a free shuttle away from the Shady Grove Metro Station. Not to mention the Rio has a movie theater, several restaurants, some with bars, very nice shopping options, and an artificial lake and boardwalk that makes for a great jogging track.

I am shooting to move to an Apartment there when I get my bonus and can afford to move out.

I'm a bit biased, and related to the DC area by marriage only, but I like Northern VA much better than DC proper or Maryland.

Have you given any thought to expanding your search southward?

Even in the 12 years I have been visiting there 2-3 times/year, I'm amazed at the urban spawl and traffic issues.

S'all I have. I like N. VA better. :D

If you really want to fug with 66 East and the Inner Loop of the Beltway, just so you can live in an area equal-to-or-less-than Montgomery County Maryland; be my guest.

NoVa is nice, but has no advantages over MD, at the very least, no advantages that would make 3 hours of commuting daily remotely worth it.

If you really want to fug with 66 East and the Inner Loop of the Beltway, just so you can live in an area equal-to-or-less-than Montgomery County Maryland; be my guest.

NoVa is nice, but has no advantages over MD, at the very least, no advantages that would make 3 hours of commuting daily remotely worth it.

I was assuming he would still utilize the Metro.

I wouldn't even dream of making that drive. Freakin' nightmare, but even 10 years ago it wasn't that bad. lately I swear DC is paying people to just be traffic.

The closest NoVa stations are still an hour and a half from Shady Grove Metro since all lines converge in DC and then spread back out, at least until the Silver Line goes up (but that's years away). And then he would have to shuttle of bus from Shady Grove to wherever he works in Gaithersburg.

I worked in Georgetown for a summer, and it's rough messing with multiple forms of public transportation (car to shuttle to Metro to DC Circulator to on foot for that gig, every day). Unless you can go from door to Metro to door, it's better to just drive.

The closest NoVa stations are still an hour and a half from Shady Grove Metro since all lines converge in DC and then spread back out, at least until the Silver Line goes up (but that's years away). And then he would have to shuttle of bus from Shady Grove to wherever he works in Gaithersburg.

I worked in Georgetown for a summer, and it's rough messing with multiple forms of public transportation (car to shuttle to Metro to DC Circulator to on foot for that gig, every day). Unless you can go from door to Metro to door, it's better to just drive.

right. I don't really care if I can take the metro to work (although it'd be a plus). Right now the office is not close enough to a metro station, although I know they are moving a few miles closer to DC in the near future. Not sure if the new office will be more convenient for the metro or not. I'd just like to be walking distance to a stop so I can go out without driving.

Just bleach his Eagles jersey, then dye it maroon. Don't give any money to Snyder.

i like you, sir :)

hey Captroop- i didnt know u were from Germantown.. we need to get together all our DC/MD/VA Panthers and tailgate or sumthin.. harass the Skins fans around here or sumthin..

Archived