• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stephen Strasburg

Johnny Rockets

Does he live up to the hype?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Does he live up to the hype?

• Yes
    • Has a good career but not what it was hyped up to be.
    • No, he is the next Mark Prior
    • I hate baseball because I have the IQ of a rock. Go Panthers!

All of the dye-in-the-wool baseball people who have been around forever say he is the best they have ever seen.

Honestly, I have a great deal of respect for the Nationals organization for being (reasonably) patient with this kid and not rushing him to the show out of spring training, which would have been very easy to do and nobody would have said a negative word about it. I am interested to see how he begins the game, if he has any nerves and leaves a couple up in the zone and they touch him for a couple.

All of the dye-in-the-wool baseball people who have been around forever say he is the best they have ever seen.

Honestly, I have a great deal of respect for the Nationals organization for being (reasonably) patient with this kid and not rushing him to the show out of spring training, which would have been very easy to do and nobody would have said a negative word about it. I am interested to see how he begins the game, if he has any nerves and leaves a couple up in the zone and they touch him for a couple.

I could be wrong about this but I am pretty sure that if he was called up before June it would have counted as one year of his contract which would have made him one year closer to free agency. By bringing him up in June it does not count towards his contract. So even after this year, I think he would still have 4 years left on his deal. I think that played a big part in him not starting his career in the Show. Like I said, I could be wrong but I swear I heard that before years ago about another player.

I am pulling for him, I hope he is all that is advertised and dominates for years to come.

I could be wrong about this but I am pretty sure that if he was called up before June it would have counted as one year of his contract which would have made him one year closer to free agency. By bringing him up in June it does not count towards his contract. So even after this year, I think he would still have 4 years left on his deal. I think that played a big part in him not starting his career in the Show. Like I said, I could be wrong but I swear I heard that before years ago about another player.

I am pulling for him, I hope he is all that is advertised and dominates for years to come.

you are right. I read that in SI this past week. Bringing him up now instead of before delays his arbitration one year. But still, they could have done it anyway out of pure excitement and to sell some tickets.

Braves did that with Tommy Hanson. And were thinking about it with His Holiness until the entire team about mutinied.

I think it'll be impossible to live up to the expectations he has on his shoulders. That's not saying he won't have a great career, because I really think he will, but man I have NEVER seen a player more hyped than Strasburg.

I do think that the Nationals are building up a great team for him to work with, so that's something that will help him out in the long run.

I remember the hype machine for the Met's up and coming starters in the mid 90s. Generation K. Fail.

Also known as the NYPD. New York Pitching Department. Isringhausen was the only one who did anything relevant at the MLB level.

From the little that I have seen, he is the real deal.

12-6 curve, change, fastball with late movement....the works.

Had to mention Prior, didntcha? ugh

Anyway, barring injury I think he lives up to expectations, but it really depends on body of work, and he has none.

Archived