• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

If your in G'boro and haven't been over to the Bestway at the corner of Walker and Elam do yourself a favor.

Leave Total Wine for the people looking for wine and Coronas and go to a real beer store.

Haven't been there yet but it's on the list of things to do this week. I really only go to Total Wine since I used to know a few people who worked there. I do like the Pipe & Pint, can't wait to see their new location.

Haven't been there yet but it's on the list of things to do this week. I really only go to Total Wine since I used to know a few people who worked there. I do like the Pipe & Pint, can't wait to see their new location.

total wine has a poo ton of beers. Old Rasputin included.

Tonight was French Broad's "WEE-HEAVY-ER Scotch Ale".

Thought I would give it a try since I liked the "13 Rebels ESB". It was excellent.

If you tried anything French Broad was putting out 5+ years ago and didn't really like it. Try it again. They have come a long way.

Tonight was French Broad's "WEE-HEAVY-ER Scotch Ale".

Thought I would give it a try since I liked the "13 Rebels ESB". It was excellent.

If you tried anything French Broad was putting out 5+ years ago and didn't really like it. Try it again. They have come a long way.

I tried both of those beers five years ago in Asheville and loved them. They had one that was really great called the "Goldenrod Pilsner." Very nice easy drinker pilsner that didn't compromise flavor for refreshment. I don't think they make that one anymore; for that matter, I don't think it was every bottled.

I'm heading back to Asheville in September for this huge beer festival called "Brewgrass." Should be able to sample all of French Broad's new offerings, as well as those of the other WNC and NC breweries.

:cheers2:

The menu for tonight was:

Traquiar Jacobite - Nice smooth ale with a sweet chocolate & caramel flavor. Dark color about the color of a cola. Very drinkable beer.

Great Divide Old Ruffian Barley Wine - One of the better barley wines Ive tasted. Big hops up front break into a nice balance with the sweetness of the malt and a nice long hoppy aftertaste.

Petrus Oak Aged Pale Ale - fuging cold piss. Too sour for me. Poured it out.

Langunitas Hop Stoopid - Now thats more like it. Big Big hops with that citrus undercurrent that reminds me of why I love the Weyerbacher Simcoe IPA. This is a top shelf IPA and a serious contender.

Very nice! I like both the Old Ruffian and the Hop Stoopid.

Here's what I had tonight:

Dogfish Head Theobroma: Very disappointing. Tasted like watered-down white wine. No presence of cocoa or ancho peppers.

Weyerbacher 15: I've had many smoked beers, but this if my first smoked imperial stout. Very tasty. I'll look for this again, for sure. If you like smokey beers, pick it up.

Schneider Aventinus Weizen-Eisbock: Never had a Weizen-doppelbock (or an eisbock). This is a nice introduction to a hybrid of styles. A bit of tartness from the wheat before the traditional doppelbock flavors (dark fruit, raisins, fig) hit your tongue. At 12%, it made quite the night cap.

Cheers, guys.

:cheers2:

Archived