• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Official Huddle Beer Thread

CharlotteBeer.com

Picked up a sixer of Bells's Oberon for Thurs night and tried Anchor Steam for the first time at the beach this past weekend. Love me some Anchor Steam!

Both are really good beers. I've had Anchor Steam before, but it was quite a while ago so I picked one up in a mix-six recently. Both of the above beers are proof-positive that you don't have to have some flavorless beer just because it's hot outside.

I don't know if you're into porters, but I think the Anchor Porter is really good as well.

Currently sippin' on some Sea Dog Wild Blueberry Wheat Ale. Very refreshing with some grilled up classics like burgers and steak. Has just the perfect amount of blueberry flavor, a slight hint. Not sure if any of you had tried this particular beer, I believe its brewed in Maine.

:cheers2:

I wasn't a big fan of Sea Dog when I tried it, I found it was a little bit much on the blueberry flavor. It wasn't too bad at first but it became a chore to drink towards the end.

The best blueberry wheat is Leinenkugels by far.

Both are really good beers. I've had Anchor Steam before, but it was quite a while ago so I picked one up in a mix-six recently. Both of the above beers are proof-positive that you don't have to have some flavorless beer just because it's hot outside.

I don't know if you're into porters, but I think the Anchor Porter is really good as well.

Absolutely! Never skimp on the taste cause of the heat.

I'll try the Anchor Porter if I can find it around. I remember now the Anchor Steam having a funny after-taste. Not good, not bad... just funny. You could tell their process is different.

Heading to World Market to check their selection for tonight. Work schedule is 3 on 2 off so my "weekend" is tonight. :) Any suggestions anyone?

Absolutely! Never skimp on the taste cause of the heat.

I'll try the Anchor Porter if I can find it around. I remember now the Anchor Steam having a funny after-taste. Not good, not bad... just funny. You could tell their process is different.

Heading to World Market to check their selection for tonight. Work schedule is 3 on 2 off so my "weekend" is tonight. :) Any suggestions anyone?

Anchor Steam is a hybrid of a lager and an ale. It is basically a lager brewed with ale yeast, and fermented at a higher temperature. The aftertaste you're describing might relate to that. It drinks like a lager, but the ale yeast provides some fruity esters, so it doesn't finish quite as "clean" as a lager.

As to your World Market question: I always make it a point to pick up Dogfish Head 90-minute when I'm at World Market. It's $1.89 a bottle there, which is about as cheap as you'll find it. It's a double IPA, so it'll have some bitterness to it, but I think it's one of the most balanced double IPAs out there.

It's been a while since I've been out there, so I'm having a tough time thinking of some of the other beers they've got. Any specific style you're interested in?

You're probably spot on with the aftertaste with the Anchor Steam BB.

Just got back from Trader Joe's. World Market was too far out of the way. They had a great selection though. Grabbed a Highland Oatmeal Porter, Gaelic Ale, Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, Brooklyn Lager, Spaten Optimator, and Old Rasputin in a mix 6.

The picture on this Old Rasputin is creeping me out :)

You're probably spot on with the aftertaste with the Anchor Steam BB.

Just got back from Trader Joe's. World Market was too far out of the way. They had a great selection though. Grabbed a Highland Oatmeal Porter, Gaelic Ale, Stockyard Oatmeal Stout, Brooklyn Lager, Spaten Optimator, and Old Rasputin in a mix 6.

The picture on this Old Rasputin is creeping me out :)

You got some great beers there. I know I'm repeating myself, but here goes:

Highland's Oatmeal Porter was what got me into craft beer. I drank quite a bit of it and Gaelic Ale when I went to school in Asheville. Both awesome beers.

The Stockyard Oatmeal Stout is the best beer you will find for a dollar, bar none. It really is a great stout. I'd be willing to pay more for it, but I'm happy it's so cheap. I've put many people on to that beer.

I had Spaten Optimator for the first time last week and really enjoyed it. I'll be buying more. Solid Doppelbock.

And as you may know from the first post in this thread, Old Rasputin is my favorite beer.

So what I'm trying to say here, is "you done good." Let us know what you think about them all.

As for me, I'm going to have some leftover Chinese food with a New Holland Golden Cap Saison.

Cheers, guys.

:cheers2:

I've never had Pangaea. It sounds like a pretty distinct beer, much like Dogfish's ancient ales and limited releases. I'll be trying Dogfish Head Theobroma later this week, which is "based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras which revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions."

I forgot that I tried this last week. I can't recommend it, at least to anyone who, like myself, were expecting a strong taste of chocolate and pepper.

It really wasn't a bad beer, I just didn't feel like it came as advertised. It almost tasted like a watered-down white wine. I'm not sure if that dryness came from the yeast or what.

I love Dogfish Head, but I was not a fan of that one. I still want to find a chocolate stout with a heavy pepper influence. I guess Chocolate Oak-Aged Yeti was on the right track, but I want more heat.

I have got to start homebrewing; then I can make these strange beers that few breweries bother with.

I just tried this beer only because of this thread. I never try new beers but I thought I would try this one...it isn't anything fancy but it is an amber beer and thats the kind I like...It is called palm and its a Belgian beer I got at whole foods...its pretty smooth..

Beyx Berry forgive me for my ignorance because I drink beer to get drunk and also because I only read the first 3 pages also I am a complete beer noob, but I hate the bitter beers, what would you recommend, something I can get all year round (not like hopslam). As I am getting older, and after numerous hangovers it gets hard to drink something that doesn't taste well. Price is of no concern I have access to anything the public does. Would you still recommend two hearts? Feel free to ask me any questions I figure your the beer genius try and find something I like.

I saw your other posts describing a difference, I always knew about it but when there is so many it gets intimidating so I just grab my regular Heineken. What would you suggest I try first, maybe something on the other side of the spectrum.

Archived