• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Trent Guy

tattoorhino

If he can impress these next few preseason games I think he beats out Gettis for a spot. Gettis has looked worse every day at camp to me personally than he should. Dropped several yesterday just in drills. I think if we want another great character guy with heart then Trent Guy needs to make this team. Of course I thought the same thing about Jason Carter and we see how good he was when it mattered. These next games will tell for sure.

Didn't see this article on him from fan fest, by DG... Here's a piece:

"I remember when Trenton was a boy, he said, 'Mama, I'm going to play on that field one day,' " Elaine Guy says. "He didn't mean any NFL field, he meant that one.

"We grew up so close to that stadium, I drove by it when it was a hole in the ground, and we've been going there for years."

The Panthers are loaded with young receivers, but Guy has stood out in practices.

In May, coach John Fox singled him out by name. There are players who have been here much longer and gotten less immediate recognition.

He is not a lock to make the regular-season roster, but he has a chance.

After what Trent Guy went through, he doesn't take that for granted, and neither does his family.

Asked last week what it might be like, watching her son play on that field, Elaine Guy finally choked up.

"See, now you've gotten me emotional," she said, laughing in an effort to slow the tears. "There were times I didn't know that we were going to make it, but right now, no one understands what it means to me to see my son standing there."

He wasn't able to practice Saturday, the result of a hamstring strain. But it almost doesn't matter.

He walked through the tunnel a member of the Carolina Panthers, but with his biggest moment, and the realization of a dream, yet to come.

"It really is. It's like a dream for me right now," Guy said with a grin. "Reality hasn't set in. I think when I put on a uniform and run out in front of those great fans here in Carolina it'll become reality to me."

He's that close.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/08/07/1608689/panthers-near-fatal-reality.html

In all honesty, with the other legendary guys we had in camp, they all lacked actual football skill OR athleticism.

Jason Carter = Great hands, not a very good athlete.

Taye Biddle = Great athlete, speedy, but no real feel for the game.

Trent Guy seems to have a good combination of both, his numbers aren't jaw dropping but he's 'football fast' on the field and explosive. Seems to have good awareness and skill as well... For Smitty to already be bragging about his route running as a rookie is pretty amazing.

Here's the highlights I had found in my original thread about him:

Archived