• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.

SmootsDaddy89

I finally started playing Oblivion some...

So far, it is boring... The UI is drab, the combat mechanics kinda suck, and AI isn't anything to brag about...

Not sure how this game got compared in the same breaths as Fallout 3, but it isn't even close to being that level of a game, in my opinion...

The scenery and world itself is very nice, but everything else leaves a lot to be desired...

So far, it is boring... The UI is drab, the combat mechanics kinda suck, and AI isn't anything to brag about...

Not sure how this game got compared in the same breaths as Fallout 3, but it isn't even close to being that level of a game, in my opinion...

The scenery and world itself is very nice, but everything else leaves a lot to be desired...

You're not thinking in the right context. Oblivion was a release game. As in it was released with the 360. In other words the majority of gamers were still playing on the original Xbox when this hit the market. Keep games in their context, Fallout 3 is a completely different game. Morrowind 3 is better than fallout, IF you're talking in context. Eventually everything gets outdone but the game's worth is the groundbreaking it does upon release. Fallout did not accomplish what Oblivioun did. No RPG accomplished what Morrowind did before that....

Oblivion was pretty groundbreaking 5 years ago.

You're not thinking in the right context. Oblivion was a release game. As in it was released with the 360. In other words the majority of gamers were still playing on the original Xbox when this hit the market. Keep games in their context, Fallout 3 is a completely different game. Morrowind 3 is better than fallout, IF you're talking in context. Eventually everything gets outdone but the game's worth is the groundbreaking it does upon release. Fallout did not accomplish what Oblivioun did. No RPG accomplished what Morrowind did before that....

He's got a point though. I love The Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind being my favorite)...but Oblivion bored me as well. Hopefully this one will be more like Morrowind than Oblivion.

Oblivion wasn't even the first Elder Scrolls.

Both games did their 'ground breaking' in completely different ways.

Morrowind did amount content, it was a new console game so while the content may be similar to a PC game, the value was more the fact it was a platforming game.

Oblivion, obviously appealing to the masses was a goal Morrowind did not seem to have but Oblivion gave us a first peak of the capabilities of the Xbox and it was not until year(s) later a game game out where the specifications could be compared, like graphics.

Personally Oblivion is a bit commercial for me, but Morrowind will never be outdone.

I agree. For it's time, Oblivion was a fantastic game. I think that the best thing about it was the non-linear game-play. I guess "fable" was marketed as the first "non-linear" type RPG, but Oblivion smashed the competition, and it really felt like the first game that you could truly do whatever you wanted as soon as you inserted the disk. It offered you so many choices that you could play it 10 different times through, and still not explore all of the dungeons and mines. The only thing i didnt like about it was the game's limited supply of unique weapons, but i hope that Skyrim will go all out, and fix that.

I expect that Skyrim will offer everything i mentioned above, and hopefully this time around, all the dungeons wont feel "the same". I have also read that they have improved the n.p.c. A.I. and tweaked the battle system. I think this game is going to be a blockbuster, and hopefully, some other game companies will step up as well, and start producing games that finally start pushing the limits of the PS3's capabilities.

For the record, i have always like Oblivion a little bit more than the Fall Out series, but since both of these titles use the same game engines, i wouldnt be all that surprized if they eventually release a new updated Fallout title with the same improvements.

Fable wasn't marketed as the first non-linear rpg because non-linear rpgs were developed in the west years and years before 3d graphics. And hell I take it you never played Daggerfall back in the day. This is the second game in the Elder Scrolls series and Oblivion doesn't come anywhere close to being as "non-linear" as that. Nor does Morrowind or virtually any game that has come out after the 90s. Almost every new "groundbreaking" non graphical development is something that has already been done before video games went mainstream.

Archived