• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Those who want Cam Newton First overall...

Ricky Spanish

Maybe if we're lucky Newton will be the next Michael Vick.

Meaning he'll struggle mightily to learn a pro style offense for 6 straight seasons, go to prison for a couple years where he literally has nothing else to do but study, come back for another team where he still has to sit behind a pro-bowl QB for another year before he picks it up and actually starts playing QB rather than just running around like a crazy person.

Newton plays in a SPREAD offense that utilizes his athleticism to make plays. he often comes against 8-9 in the box to try and stop the run. this is how he has managed to throw for 28 touchdowns.

agreed, Newton (while he does have talent) took on defenses who were trying to stop the run and spread option run.

don't tell me he isn't similar to The Golden Calf of Bristol. yeah newton is faster and doesn't have a funky wind-up, but so what. passing wise, they are on the exact same level, and that's what a QB is suppose to do, pass, not run, in the NFL.

i think he is similar to The Golden Calf of Bristol in the sense that he plays in a spread offense and does alot of running. Now, i think (in time) he can be good, but it will take time.

Yes newton is flashy and fun to watch, but he is no where near the passing QB andrew luck is. we don't need flashy, we need consistent QB play.

i agree. Flashy does sell tickets, but it doesnt win games, add to that, i honestly dont see Newton being that flashy in the NFL where defenses are faster.

to say that cam newton is worthy of the #1 overall pick is laughable when you compare him to Luck, who is quite possibly.

agreed. Newton (in my book) is the 4th best QB in this draft, i would take Luck, Locker and Mallett over him, but some team will gamble on him.

If Luck is not available, I don't want to draft The Golden Calf of Bristol 2.0, I'll take some different Kool-aid. maybe some AJ Green or Patrick peterson, but no way in do I want Cam Newton First overall.

agreed, i feel (if Luck stays in school) they should get AJ Green and if we still stink next year, we can get Luck next year or (if we dont have the number one pick) we could draft Barkley (who could come out)

I agree that Cam isn't worthy of the #1 pick but I think he could be successful in the NFL. I could see Cam being very succesful in the NFL.

i think he can be successful, but i think it will take a year as a backup for that to happen.

Maybe if we're lucky Newton will be the next Michael Vick. Meaning he'll struggle mightily to learn a pro style offense for 6 straight seasons, go to prison for a couple years where he literally has nothing else to do but study, come back for another team where he still has to sit behind a pro-bowl QB for another year before he picks it up and actually starts playing QB rather than just running around like a crazy person.

I doubt he is the Next Michael Vick. i dont see him being the next Vick because Vick COULD run around like he did in the NFL because of his speed, but i dont think Newton has Vick like speed, plus Vick was small so he's easier to slip away. Newton will have to break tackles because he's a bigger guy.

I doubt he is the Next Michael Vick. i dont see him being the next Vick because Vick COULD run around like he did in the NFL because of his speed, but i dont think Newton has Vick like speed, plus Vick was small so he's easier to slip away. Newton will have to break tackles because he's a bigger guy.

dude, you totally missed it :willy_nilly: haha rocknroller

hahaha, i understood it (it was a joke), i just wanted to say that i dont think he's Vick (to people who think he is Vick and trust me, i have heard some thinking he is the next Vick)

those people are just ignorant, Vick is a phenomenon and there will likely never be another. 4.3 speed, runningback moves, cannon arm and a quick release.... and he's got heart and he's clutch. If a real coordinator would have developed him properly like they are in Philly he would be HOF material

those people are just ignorant, Vick is a phenomenon and there will likely never be another. 4.3 speed, runningback moves, cannon arm and a quick release.... and he's got heart and he's clutch. If a real coordinator would have developed him properly like they are in Philly he would be HOF material

yep, i agree. Vick's 4.3 speed is one reason he's such a good runner and while i would love for a Vick type player (with a great arm) to come here, they are VERY rare. Newton reminds me more of Young. i think Luck is the guy we draft, if they go QB, because he has really, not many negatives, plus i think he's more mobile than people give him credit for.

yep, i agree. Vick's 4.3 speed is one reason he's such a good runner and while i would love for a Vick type player (with a great arm) to come here, they are VERY rare. Newton reminds me more of Young. i think Luck is the guy we draft, if they go QB, because he has really, not many negatives, plus i think he's more mobile than people give him credit for.

they aren't rare, they are..... I don't know it's only happened once

I would take Newton first if Luck doesn't come out. I think he's a more accurate Vince Young. Young would be a good player if he didn't go crazy and want to kill himself everytime he got booed.
true. young would never have lasted through the storm that newton has already weathered. imo, if newton can handle what has dealt with so far, he's already well ahead of where young was.

Archived