• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Who is safe?

NJPanthers12

So after a season that featured a top five all time worst offense the only two changes you have being made is at RG and promoting a TE to starter aside from drafting Luck?

And why does everyone think this team will stay a 4-3 defense. The only coach mentioned that us for sure to keep the 4-3 is Fewell. I might be in the minority but I want to switch to the 3-4 and I don't really care about how this player doesn't fit a 3-4 or that player doesn't fit a 3-4. This team just went 2-14. Is any player worth keeping that much?

And before I get the "if we switch to a 3-4 it will take 5 years before we a good again "

How long did it take for the Packers to make the switch? How many years of building did it take the Panthers to be a 3-4 team before going to the NFCCG? 2nd season as a franchise if I remember correctly.

So who stays? I really hope very few get a free pass and not many come back at all.

So after a season that featured a top five all time worst offense the only two changes you have being made is at RG and promoting a TE to starter aside from drafting Luck?

And why does everyone think this team will stay a 4-3 defense. The only coach mentioned that us for sure to keep the 4-3 is Fewell. I might be in the minority but I want to switch to the 3-4 and I don't really care about how this player doesn't fit a 3-4 or that player doesn't fit a 3-4. This team just went 2-14. Is any player worth keeping that much?

And before I get the "if we switch to a 3-4 it will take 5 years before we a good again "

How long did it take for the Packers to make the switch? How many years of building did it take the Panthers to be a 3-4 team before going to the NFCCG? 2nd season as a franchise if I remember correctly.

So who stays? I really hope very few get a free pass and not many come back at all.

Rivera was the DC for the Bears when they were a 4-3 and it was his best body of work.

Im not entirley familar with who would fit with for the a 3-4 defence. But assuming there aren't alot:

Why would you switch when the majority of your better players who are under contract would be struggling?

Im not entirley familar with who would fit with for the a 3-4 defence. But assuming there aren't alot:

Why would you switch when the majority of your better players who are under contract would be struggling?

Myth.

Returning starters under contract in 2011:

DE Tyler Brayton

LB Jon Beason

LB Dan Conner

That's it folks. And Dan Conner is a Jack LB in a 3-4 defense if I ever saw one. Beason, IMO, would be great as the Mike in a 3-4. Brayton doesn't fit but that's only one starter under contract that doesn't fit but for one season he could play DE in a 3-4 (he did in Oakland) as we go through the growing pains that we will go through for at least one season not matter the defense.

And there is some speculation that Brown and Hardy could make it as 3-4 OLB. That's not a certain but possible. And if you go a little further and talk about players not under contract, I think Charles Johnson could make a great 3-4 DE. Usually, 3-4 DE are taller but when you look at Johnson he has that stoutness (if that's a word?) that you look for in 3-4 DE.

Making the switch to a 3-4 defense is really all about finding a nose tackle. I will admit that is not always easy to do. However, if we stick with a 4-3 defense everyone is already saying how we need two DT. Thats no easy to do either.

In the end, I think some fans around here have unrealistic expectations of players that made up a team that went 2-14. This team will be building from the ground up if they are a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense. And the offense is in just as bad of a situation.

Myth.

Returning starters under contract in 2011:

DE Tyler Brayton

LB Jon Beason

LB Dan Conner

That's it folks. And Dan Conner is a Jack LB in a 3-4 defense if I ever saw one. Beason, IMO, would be great as the Mike in a 3-4. Brayton doesn't fit but that's only one starter under contract that doesn't fit but for one season he could play DE in a 3-4 (he did in Oakland) as we go through the growing pains that we will go through for at least one season not matter the defense.

And there is some speculation that Brown and Hardy could make it as 3-4 OLB. That's not a certain but possible. And if you go a little further and talk about players not under contract, I think Charles Johnson could make a great 3-4 DE. Usually, 3-4 DE are taller but when you look at Johnson he has that stoutness (if that's a word?) that you look for in 3-4 DE.

Making the switch to a 3-4 defense is really all about finding a nose tackle. I will admit that is not always easy to do. However, if we stick with a 4-3 defense everyone is already saying how we need two DT. Thats no easy to do either.

In the end, I think some fans around here have unrealistic expectations of players that made up a team that went 2-14. This team will be building from the ground up if they are a 3-4 defense or a 4-3 defense. And the offense is in just as bad of a situation.

Build from the ground up? How? With a 4-3 we have the LB's set. Sign Johnson and we have one DE spot set. And between Hardy and Brown having another year the other DE should be good. The only thing we truly need are a pair of DT's.

Archived