• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFC Scout on Gabbert

unicar15

Part of the reason I wouldn't mind bringing someone like Alex Smith in, is because he has been dumped on a lot, yet always battled hard. I just think the right 'attitude' is easy to impart onto someone. So simply someone who works hard and does their homework (knowing what to look for on film) will indirectly rub off onto a young player, if they try to teach them it or not.

One could argue that he might look at film, but if he doesn't know what he's looking at it doesn't help (on field results show he didn't).

Anyone that comes here is going to compete with Clausen, not want to mentor him. If we get a pure mentor, we are screwed because that person won't be able to play a lick.

Point still stands that "vet mentors" are overrated and it is the job of the QB coach and OC to prepare the QB to play. Favre knows this, Smith knows this, plenty of people do. Oh well. Bring on Volek :(

Complete opinion.

There are loads of stories about players taking young players 'under their wing', so for you to casually dismiss it is kinda bizarre.

The thing you seem to be over looking that most players make friends on the roster with other players, not too many get to that level of friendship with any coaches. That is kinda the difference between what a mentor on the roster can do, as the younger player feels like he has someone he can go to at all times.

For coaches they have to distance themselves to a degree due to the level of turnover on the rosters.

Whilst it's not the most significant aspect to having a QB on the roster, but it's certainly beneficial if the old guy is actually welcoming to the other QBs.

Again, having someone who can play and mentor is great, but right now I do not see anyone who can. This is all based on the FO wanting to give Clausen the shot, if not then we can bring in an Alex Smith type to compete.

EDIT

You also chose two of the most self centred players in the history of the NFL as examples as how mentors are over rated. DWill took Stew under his wing, how did that turn out?

To be fair, DWill knew Stew was good for his career not bad for it.

I never said having one was a bad thing, but people on here are saying "OMG Clausen had no vet mentor, I can't believe you guys expected him to do anything well" and "How could he look any better with no vet mentor" and blah blah blah. The point was that it's overrated and has no relation to success. Sure other players might say it's nice to have but I don't think there is ever a case where it 100% made the difference between good and bad.

I guess people reaching for a "vet mentor' is what is bugging me. It's honestly just a lame excuse that people are using as a defense of Clausen's play.

That's fine

Hasslebeck is reportedly going back to Seattle

McCown has just as little game experience as Volek

Bulger is pointless bringing here to start, so would be just as useful as Volek

Collins isn't the sort of mentor I would want to bring in.

You get so aggressive about Billy Volek yet completely ignore the fact that teams have wanted him on their 3 QB roster rather than going elsewhere. He HAS to be good off the field, otherwise teams would have waved goodbye a long time ago. If you are going for a mentor that is exactly what you want, not someone who might win a game or two. All you want from him is to instil some good practice off the field and pass on as much of his work ethic as possible.

You don't want the most talent as a mentor, you want the best teacher.

bulger as useless as volek? lol. the dude has actually won games and played whole seasons. you want someone with experience? thats him. i didn't say anything about starting. you want someone who has actually spent time playing to help bring guys along.

what exactly makes volek a good teacher? nothing except for you to find a reason to bring him here. you're reaching at best. he's a weak choice for any reason. saying that kerry collins isn't a better choice than volek is hilarious. do you know why volek left the titans? after mcnair was traded, volek had the opportunity to start and started screwing around, not taking advantage of the situation. fisher wasn't happy with volek's dedication so they brought in collins to compete for the job. volek got his poor little feelings hurt and asked for a trade. the titans were upset with him because he showed very little commitment to preparing for the season and was criticized for his poor work ethic. on top of that fisher said he lied to him about something. he got traded to the chargers for a 6th round pick.

sorry, i don't see him as being any more commited to playing the game or any better of a mentor than collins. again, i'm no fan of collins, but given a choice between the two i'm going with collins.

The thing that bothers me about him and guys like him is, WHO IS HE? Really... I just don't have a good feeling when these guys come out of nowhere and are just riding a wave of hype based off of mainly one year of work.

What I mean is, they may be a JR., but they're only known for playing really well and being a top NFL prospect for one year, they don't have a thorough resume, and he just doesn't impress me. Maybe he has it, but I doubt it.

bulger as useless as volek? lol. the dude has actually won games and played whole seasons. you want someone with experience? thats him. i didn't say anything about starting. you want someone who has actually spent time playing to help bring guys along.

what exactly makes volek a good teacher? nothing except for you to find a reason to bring him here. you're reaching at best. he's a weak choice for any reason. saying that kerry collins isn't a better choice than volek is hilarious. do you know why volek left the titans? after mcnair was traded, volek had the opportunity to start and started screwing around, not taking advantage of the situation. fisher wasn't happy with volek's dedication so they brought in collins to compete for the job. volek got his poor little feelings hurt and asked for a trade. the titans were upset with him because he showed very little commitment to preparing for the season and was criticized for his poor work ethic. on top of that fisher said he lied to him about something. he got traded to the chargers for a 6th round pick.

sorry, i don't see him as being any more commited to playing the game or any better of a mentor than collins. again, i'm no fan of collins, but given a choice between the two i'm going with collins.

IMO I would not mind bringing in Volek and Bulger if we dont draft a QB and are set on working with Clausen. Just sit Clausen, Let Volek play, and have Bulger as a backup mentor. Pike goes to the PS squad IMO.

Archived