• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How do you NOT justify picking up Asomugha?

Brokenbad

Cover corners are few and far between in the NFL. Aso is among a very few out there.

JR is going to open up the wallet and when Hurney spends that money I believe that are not going to overpay for talent. They will, however, pay for a guy like Aso. Does that mean the Panthers can get him? No one knows one way or another. But if you are looking for players that the Panthers will be willing to go after and pay big Aso and Ngata would top the list IMO.

Aso and Ngata are top tier talent, the best of the best right?

When if ever has JR shelled out the kind of $$ to bring in one

of those type of players? Its always been mid-level guys and

i don't see that changing anytime soon.

Why sign Aso who is getting older and will cost so much money, when you have the best shut down corner prospect in years coming out in the draft? If the panthers want a corner bad enough to pay high money for aso, they would rather draft Patrick Peterson No. 1.

Aso and Ngata are top tier talent, the best of the best right?

When if ever has JR shelled out the kind of $$ to bring in one

of those type of players? Its always been mid-level guys and

i don't see that changing anytime soon.

You're absolutely correct. The Panthers have never went out for the best of the best. They have always settled for mid-level guys like:

Stephen Davis

Justin Hartwig

Ma'ake Kemoeatu

Mike Wahle

Keyshawn Johnson

Ken Lucas

Sean Gilbert

Kevin Greene

Reggie White

And I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more. The trend of signing multiple mid-level free agents start in 2008. Before that, the top level talent was who the Panthers went after when they did go after players in free agency.

Now you can argue that the Panthers have a bad history of missing on free agents who are considered to be the top talent, but as far as spending the money and going after who most think are the top talents; that exactly the Panthers M.O. for the majority of the franchise's history.

You're absolutely correct. The Panthers have never went out for the best of the best. They have always settled for mid-level guys like:

Stephen Davis

Justin Hartwig

Ma'ake Kemoeatu

Mike Wahle

Keyshawn Johnson

Ken Lucas

Sean Gilbert

Kevin Greene

Reggie White

And I'm sure I'm missing a bunch more. The trend of signing multiple mid-level free agents start in 2008. Before that, the top level talent was who the Panthers went after when they did go after players in free agency.

Now you can argue that the Panthers have a bad history of missing on free agents who are considered to be the top talent, but as far as spending the money and going after who most think are the top talents; that exactly the Panthers M.O. for the majority of the franchise's history.

Lets be clear. When i say "top tier" i mean elite. Aso and Ngata are elite.

Now i will give you K Greene, but Reggie was well past his prime. Same with Johnson. Hartwig, Lucas, Kemo never make a pro bowl, not once. Wahle made one. Gilbert had a couple good seasons with the Rams but he fell off fast. And Davis, Davis had 3 good seasons. Made the pro bowl in each but never lead the league in rushing, soo i wouldn't call him elite. Although he did lead the league in TD's once.

Lol after one season of preparing for the future Jerry is a cheap ass all the sudden. Well then so be it, you see what all those over hyped top tier free agents got us. Hartwig sucked, Whale was good for a season, Lucas was good for 2 years, Davis was only worth it for 2003. I'm all for being smart with the money.

Aso's age is not worth the contract. Ngata is and he's about the only elite player I'd pay for.

Lol after one season of preparing for the future Jerry is a cheap ass all the sudden. Well then so be it, you see what all those over hyped top tier free agents got us. Hartwig sucked, Whale was good for a season, Lucas was good for 2 years, Davis was only worth it for 2003. I'm all for being smart with the money.

Aso's age is not worth the contract. Ngata is and he's about the only elite player I'd pay for.

This

Lets be clear. When i say "top tier" i mean elite. Aso and Ngata are elite.

Now i will give you K Greene, but Reggie was well past his prime. Same with Johnson. Hartwig, Lucas, Kemo never make a pro bowl, not once. Wahle made one. Gilbert had a couple good seasons with the Rams but he fell off fast. And Davis, Davis had 3 good seasons. Made the pro bowl in each but never lead the league in rushing, soo i wouldn't call him elite. Although he did lead the league in TD's once.

Then say elite and not top teir.

So what you are admitting to is that JR is and always has been cheap when it comes to going after and signing the most elite players in the NFL (even though those types of players rarely actually hit the open market, maybe one a year if best). But that he spends a bunch of money on top teir talent.

What was your point to begin with?

Then say elite and not top teir.

So what you are admitting to is that JR is and always has been cheap when it comes to going after and signing the most elite players in the NFL (even though those types of players rarely actually hit the open market, maybe one a year if best). But that he spends a bunch of money on top teir talent.

What was your point to begin with?

I don't believe anyone posted above are/were a top tier player at the time the panthers signed them. Some of them good players yes, top tier no.

And i don't think there is a chance in hell Carolina signs Aso or Ngata.

Archived