• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"Coach, there's too much pressure on me..."

Mr. Scot

my issue is that people have been touting him as a good guy to have mentoring the young guys and saying that he would be a reliable starter because of what he did in his 10 starts 6 years ago i which he only won 3 games and had only 2 good games.

people really don't know what they are talking about with him and are paying too much attention to what he did in a couple games a long time ago and avoiding the facts that he whined to get out of the only chance he had at a starting job because he wasn't outright given the job and his overall record.

imo, the situation doesn't matter much in san diego. sure he may know the system, but he's been content to be the backup for several years and they are intent on keeping him there in that capacity. why would he want to go somewhere unless he was assured the starting job? i just don't see anything in him that warrants being given that assurance.

also, this team is going young and one of the big things that was an issue with richardson was that fox didn't get the young guys in as starters soon enough to get them real experience. so what does the new coach do? bring in a QB older than the one we just got rid of because he was too old and start him over the young guys that richardson wants to get experience? sorry, but i just don't see that happening, nor do i think it should.

you don't do the young guys any favors by keeping them off the field. get them in the game and see what they have. the sooner you find out, the better.

my issue is that people have been touting him as a good guy to have mentoring the young guys and saying that he would be a reliable starter because of what he did in his 10 starts 6 years ago i which he only won 3 games and had only 2 good games.

people really don't know what they are talking about with him and are paying too much attention to what he did in a couple games a long time ago and avoiding the facts that he whined to get out of the only chance he had at a starting job because he wasn't outright given the job and his overall record.

imo, the situation doesn't matter much in san diego. sure he may know the system, but he's been content to be the backup for several years and they are intent on keeping him there in that capacity. why would he want to go somewhere unless he was assured the starting job? i just don't see anything in him that warrants being given that assurance.

also, this team is going young and one of the big things that was an issue with richardson was that fox didn't get the young guys in as starters soon enough to get them real experience. so what does the new coach do? bring in a QB older than the one we just got rid of because he was too old and start him over the young guys that richardson wants to get experience? sorry, but i just don't see that happening, nor do i think it should.

you don't do the young guys any favors by keeping them off the field. get them in the game and see what they have. the sooner you find out, the better.

See, this is what you should of being saying all along. Instead you just kept hammering home that he was a whining little girl, when in actually he wasn't really ever given a shot to start.

It's amazing that once you start given balanced arguments that you make that much more sense.

For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, but I wouldn't be expecting anything out of him. I think we should just bring in the guys who have shown good work ethics and at least try to be a good example for the younger guys. Not saying that the older guys should start...

No. He was demoted below Kerry Collins after they drafted Vince Young. He was never given the shot at starter, considering Young essentially started the whole season and Collins was immediately placed above him on the depth chart, despite being signed just before the beginning of the season.

Here is how it actually panned out:

1. Young drafted

2. Volek starts the first 3 pre-season, but given less playing time than Young

3. Collins signed and starts 4th pre-season game (Volek given 1 pass)

4. Collins named starter

For the record, that particular pre-season Volek had put up:

25/39 (64.1%)

320 yards

1 TD, 1 Int

87.6 QB Rating

Coach Jeff Fisher lashed out at critics of the Tennessee Titans' dealings with Billy Volek, saying Wednesday that Volek lied to him and never took advantage of the opportunity to be the starter.

The Titans finally traded Volek on Tuesday to the San Diego Chargers for a sixth-round draft pick that could become a fifth-rounder depending on playing time. Fisher said Volek asked to be traded the day the Titans signed Kerry Collins late last month.

"I never at anytime in my career have gone into such detail (about a trade). But I felt the responsibility, as Billy felt he was thrown under the bus," Fisher said. "Billy threw this organization under the bus, along with a number of his teammates."

It was unprecedented public criticism by Fisher, who repeatedly has protected his players.

Volek inherited the quarterback job when the Titans traded Steve McNair to Baltimore in June, and Fisher claimed it was in the first week after Volek was made the starter during the offseason that the quarterback lied to the coach.

Fisher said Volek was told he was the starter and that Collins was brought in for his experience and to create competition with Volek. But Fisher said Volek came to his office and went to general manager Floyd Reese the same day asking to be traded.

The coach also charges that Volek never took advantage of his opportunities once told he was the starter.

"There's a difference between assuming a role as a starter and a backup role. There's a distinct difference between those two positions. In the club's opinion based on what transpired, he was not suited to be the starter," Fisher said.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2596235

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/9673960/rss

See, this is what you should of being saying all along. Instead you just kept hammering home that he was a whining little girl, when in actually he wasn't really ever given a shot to start.

It's amazing that once you start given balanced arguments that you make that much more sense.

For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to bringing him in, but I wouldn't be expecting anything out of him. I think we should just bring in the guys who have shown good work ethics and at least try to be a good example for the younger guys. Not saying that the older guys should start...

the thing is he WAS given a shot and they didn't like the amount of preperation he was putting into it. they brought in some competition for the job and he he complained about it and asked to be traded.

i have been saying that people were paying too much attention to performances that he had many years ago.

i have been saying that he wouldn't be a good mentor.

i have been saying that it didn't go along with this teams desire to build youth.

i have been saying all along that we need to have young competition for the long term job instead of some old guy to come in while the other guys sit back and watch and learn from a guy who has never really done all that much to begin with.

i have said this many times. people just aren't paying attention.

You are completely ignoring the fact that Vince Young was drafted that year and played more football than Volek did in the pre-season, then went on to feature in 15 games whilst starting 13.

Explain to me how Volek had any realistic shot, they always intended on getting Young on the field as soon as they could.

he just didn't want to be a panther

Panther fans are complete morons for understanding this whole, embarrassingly shallow concept. At least, the annoying ones who rejecting the Panthers is unheard of and a player not wanting to play for JR? Impossible. We aren't the Bills or Raiders but we aren't the Steelers, Cowboys, Giants etc. teams either with much more to offer to a young athlete. Like bigger city, stronger fan base and most importantly recognition. You think if Romo was on the Panthers, his average play would have been drooled over everywhere? not a chance. Not to say all good players want that kind of atmosphere but it is more to offer to ones that do.

You are completely ignoring the fact that Vince Young was drafted that year and played more football than Volek did in the pre-season, then went on to feature in 15 games whilst starting 13.

Explain to me how Volek had any realistic shot, they always intended on getting Young on the field as soon as they could.

dude, volek started the first 3 preseason games in 2006. starters generally aren't on the field all that much in preseason, are they? young didn't start until the 4th game.

collins was brought in after the 3rd preseason game because they were unhappy with how volek was doing....not just on the field, but off of it. he wasn't working like he should.

you think maybe they drafted VY because they weren't sure that volek would be able to do the job and young just happened to fall into their laps?

volek was the starter until he lost it in preseason.

they didn't intend to start VY that first year. they had to because of the situation that volek had put them in.

Any yet Volek played pretty well in that particular pre-season. Just to re-emphasise, he was demoted below Young & Collins after playing pretty well in the pre-season.

So how did he have any chance of starting over Young once the real season started, considering he was demoted below him after 3 pre-season games.

Any yet Volek played pretty well in that particular pre-season. Just to re-emphasise, he was demoted below Young & Collins after playing pretty well in the pre-season.

So how did he have any chance of starting over Young once the real season started, considering he was demoted below him after 3 pre-season games.

he played pretty well in preseason? r u serious?

in 3 games 24 comp, 38 att, 63 comp%, 0 TDs, 1 INT, QB ratings of 82.4, 50.5, 81.8 is pretty well? bar is set kind of low, isn't it?

he didn't have a chance to ge the start in regular season. you know why? because he didn't like having competition asked for a trade. as soon as they brought collins in he went to the FO and asked for a trade. he got demoted because he gave up and was trying to get out of there. why in the world would you have a guy higher than 3rd on your depth chart who didn't want to be there and had given up over two guys who were actually excited about the competition and were going to be there?

if the guy is so good why havent other teams tried to trade for him? Last year obviously was a QB carousel throughout the league and if he was such a great QB why wasnt he included in talks? I doubt it would have costed much to get him.

Look, I think the last couple of posts had made me advocate for Volek, when in actuality I'm not.

All I am stating is that yes, he was starter in the pre-season and played well on the surface. However he was dumped before the season and Young was elevated above him, giving him little chance to ever reclaim that position.

he played pretty well in preseason? r u serious?

in 3 games 24 comp, 38 att, 63 comp%, 0 TDs, 1 INT, QB ratings of 82.4, 50.5, 81.8 is pretty well? bar is set kind of low, isn't it?

he didn't have a chance to ge the start in regular season. you know why? because he didn't like having competition asked for a trade. as soon as they brought collins in he went to the FO and asked for a trade. he got demoted because he gave up and was trying to get out of there. why in the world would you have a guy higher than 3rd on your depth chart who didn't want to be there and had given up over two guys who were actually excited about the competition and were going to be there?

If we are using his QB rating as a parameter, then consider that through the 2006 season, only 14 QB's posted a rating higher than 82.4. So yes, his particular QB rating wasn't that bad considering the passing games in that season.

I think you are getting a touch worked up over nothing really. Al I was pointing out was that your argument's against Volek were scewed, because he was never in competition with Collins. Fisher had decided to replace him no matter what, for whatever reasons that have never been made public. Young was drafted really early and the owner wanted him to start, so no he never really had a chance to start.

If we are using his QB rating as a parameter, then consider that through the 2006 season, only 14 QB's posted a rating higher than 82.4. So yes, his particular QB rating wasn't that bad considering the passing games in that season.

I think you are getting a touch worked up over nothing really. Al I was pointing out was that your argument's against Volek were scewed, because he was never in competition with Collins. Fisher had decided to replace him no matter what, for whatever reasons that have never been made public. Young was drafted really early and the owner wanted him to start, so no he never really had a chance to start.

i've thought volek was a punk ever since all that happened in tennessee. i hadn't put much thought into him at all until his name started getting dropped around here.

the decision to replace him hadn't been made when they brought collins in. what you aren't getting is they brought collins in to compete with volek, because 1) they didn't want to rely on a rookie to start and 2) they didn't think that volek was putting in the work and was really dedicated to the starting job. that competition didn't happen because volek asked for a trade right away. he didn't even give it a shot.

people will fuss about clausen feeling entitled to the starting job, but here is vilek who honestly felt entitled and when it wasn't, he ran.

i just can't see how bringing a guy like that around who has done nothing in the past few years to show he even wants a starting job or cares all that much about it can do this team any good. i see no upside whatsoever.

Archived