• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Martin and NFLPA* still going at it

mav1234

Woops. Looks like the alumni (George Martin, director of NFL Alumni association) and the NFLPA are not on good terms. Surprised? yeah, didn't think so.

Florio's ending to his article was interesting, though:

The players apparently suspect that Martin and his group are shills for the NFL. If they weren’t before this past week, they may be inclined to be now.

Really, if the players are going to treat Martin and the group he runs as the enemy, why shouldn’t Martin and NFL Alumni respond in kind? At some point, it’s the only logical move.

from http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/03/26/george-martin-describes-his-meeting-with-nflpa-as-defiant-accusatoy-and-outright-disrespectful/

Honestly, Florio has a point. I get it, the players are positive Martin and the alumni are in bed with the owners. But why treat them like crap because of it? Why interrogate the guy? If you don't believe he's on your side, fine, but he does represent former players so I kind of feel he deserves SOME respect.

The NFLPA has never really had retired players interests at heart (Even Upshaw who famously said he didn't represent retired players), so I'm not surprised by any of this I guess, but still thought it was worth posting.

At some point the player lovers need to wake up and realize they only care about right now. If payton manning lost both legs tomorrow, they would punt kick his ass to the curb and tell him tough poo as for a future benefits etc. The owners are looking at the game now, years and decades from now. These players only want theirs, fug everyone else.

I don't really agree that the owners feel any more loyalty to retired players than the NFLPA* does, I just think that it so happens that the owners are seeing a really amazing opportunity here with the Alumni Association and are slowly taking advantage of it. They know that it weakens the NFLPA* if current and former players are not so united.

Archived