• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Black QBs vs Black Coaches and GMs

Awesomeness!!

Nobody on here draws their confidence and self-worth from who the QB, coach or GM of the Panthers is. The whole idea of such a thing is just stupid.

I would think younger fans, preteens and the like, are easily influenced and draw inspiration from their favorite teams QB.

A young man without a father figure (I think) searches for influences all over. Even something as minor as a NFL QB

I think the old school days and guys are dying out. You know, the guys in the industry who told Warren Moon he was just a DB and not a QB in the NFL. I believe there is a new generation of people willing to accept that Black QBs can do a great job at playing QB. If the old ways of drafting "ideal" QBs still existed then there would be no Michael Vick, no Josh Freeman starting period. The old days of recruiting the most nonathletic, big arm, "white only" because blacks arent smart enough days are done, but that doesnt mean people still wont try to hold on to those ideas. There are people on this board who probably believe that the color of your skin determines your intellect or ability to perform certain positions on the field. I myself feel sorry for those people, they are obviously insecure of their own abilities and limit their own vision by doing so. I believe this is a very important milestone for Black QBs if you want to put them in a group, and for the #1 QB to be Black this year stats wise is very hard for some people, so they claim everything else is an illusion, its the only thing left to attack. I hope we draft Cam honestly, it maybe what Carolina needs in the locker room, cam went through it all just like our team did last year going 2-14 with all outsiders telling them they have no chance of being good. Cam has a lot more in common with the Panthers than we think honestly, and if we draft him or not he will always be a magnet for attention ...ALL TYPES of attention.

You are the one putting Freeman in a category becuase of his race. He was a prototype QB prospect who was coveted for his height, arm strength, accuracy, poise, vision, and his experience to play both out of the gun and from under center. It was his passing that made him a prospect and it's his passing that has made him a good pro this past season.It's not hard to learn about these guys before throwing them around as examples.

You are the one putting Freeman in a category becuase of his race. He was a prototype QB prospect who was coveted for his height, arm strength, accuracy, poise, vision, and his experience to play both out of the gun and from under center. It was his passing that made him a prospect and it's his passing that has made him a good pro this past season. He was not a huge dual threat guy in college and still isn't as a pro.

It's not hard to learn about these guys before throwing them around as examples.

He was dual threat against us..

Yea i agree with that...which is why I dont see why people are putting Cam in the same category as you just mentioned. He's a good passer AND good runner. His completion percentage was high last year. 66%! Not to mention his 30 TDs to only 7 INTs. All he needs is a little coaching and he could become a QB in the mold of a Steve Young, or a Donovan McNabb, or a Randall Cunningham, or a Steve McNair, or a Big Ben (with better rushing ability).

Exactly throw in how he handles himself as far as big game/public pressure many should be praying that we take him and he pans out looking at our divisions QB's compared to our own...

I would think younger fans, preteens and the like, are easily influenced and draw inspiration from their favorite teams QB.

A young man without a father figure (I think) searches for influences all over. Even something as minor as a NFL QB

But are any of those posting on this board?

As to teens and preteens, QB maybe. Coach would be a reach. GM? Most of them probably wouldn't have a clue who that is.

But are any of those posting on this board?

As to teens and preteens, QB maybe. Coach would be a reach. GM? Most of them probably wouldn't have a clue who that is.

I would say 99% of the board needs better role models.

CSX didn't catch any KState games.

Freeman was definitely a spread guy.

Yes, he played in a spread but as was written about him before the draft he was experienced taking snaps from under center.

Anecdotal, I know, but I don't think he takes one shotgun in this:

Not to keep this issue going (I'm pretty annoyed with it in general) but why does it as if black coaches are just as accepted and welcomed as white coaches, but with Black QBs there is always (and I mean always) some kind of controversy regarding them. Even with black GMs {who, next to the owner have the most power and control over the team) nobody really seems to care that they are black. I had no idea the GM in Baltimore was black. Nobody cared. It wasn't a big deal. Had we hired a black coach, nobody would have cared. If he performed, thats awesome, if not, oh well, but I doubt a big deal would have been made about it. Black QBs on the other hand, who have considerably less control of a team that their coachs or GMS are ALWAYS in the center of a race controversy. It simply fails the logic test. Is it because black coaches are proven? In the last few years black coaches have enjoyed much success, to the point where nobody even talks about their success anymore. Of course, there are the scrubs, but....thats to be expected I guess. You would be surprised to find how many black GMs there are in sports in general, as nobody brings their race to attention. They're accepted. Why can't the same be said for black QBs? And no, I'm not calling you racist, but the fact that this stupid ass race poo keeps getting brought up pisses me off, because I seriously believe 99.9999% of the board consist of good honest people, but even that doesn't prevent the discussion from coming up.

P.S Draft Cam in 26 days..

I believe it's because the QB position is usually the face of the franchise.

Where exactly is the "huge controversy" abut Colin Kaepernick?

I don't recall David Garrard being especially controversial either, but The Golden Calf of Bristol sure was.

Edit: Biscuit gave a couple of other good examples.

Garrard replaced a black QB in Leftwich, so no controversy, but there was a lot of controversy with Leftwich down in Jacksonville since he was replacing what some in Jacksonville looked at as a god in Mark Brunell.

Garrard replaced a black QB in Leftwich, so no controversy, but there was a lot of controversy with Leftwich down in Jacksonville since he was replacing what some in Jacksonville looked at as a god in Mark Brunell.

But did that have anything to do with his being black?

Archived