• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

marty hurney press conference tidbits

Sultan33g

But, as has been pointed out to you (but you refuse to accept), Peppers accepted the rule when he came in the league. It hasn't changed. The only thing that has changed is that it now is applied to him. He'll have a hard time finding anything more than an ambulance chaser to try anything with it. Haynesworth didn't like it either. What did he do with the Franchise tender/contract? He got the team to add a clause that they couldn't tag him again if he reached certain performance goals. That's another option for Peppers, but of course, he's here another year and he would have to perform.

I don't think Julius knew anything about his contract when he signed it other than how much money he was getting.

Enough. I'm sending in the punt team. Oh wait, the Panthers franchised their punter... :D

I don't think Julius knew anything about his contract when he signed it other than how much money he was getting.

Enough. I'm sending in the punt team. Oh wait, the Panthers franchised their punter... :D

All Peppers has to do is find a team that wants him, tell them to throw in a poison pill and he's outta here. For a player like Peppers that shouldn't be hard to do. The Panthers are posturing, but in the end, I think they'll let him go much cheaper than they are now saying. It's a win -win...

All Peppers has to do is find a team that wants him, tell them to throw in a poison pill and he's outta here. For a player like Peppers that shouldn't be hard to do. The Panthers are posturing, but in the end, I think they'll let him go much cheaper than they are now saying. It's a win -win...

Can you explain that poison pill thing? I know it's how that guard escaped Seattle and signed with Minnesota, but I never really looked at it that closely.

Can you explain that poison pill thing? I know it's how that guard escaped Seattle and signed with Minnesota, but I never really looked at it that closely.

It's a provision in the player's contract with the new team that makes it impossible for the original team to match the offer. Nate Burleson was gotten away from the Vikings by Seattle with two poison pills. The first was that his 49 million contract would be completely guarantee in full if he played 5 games in the state of Minnesota in his first year. The second was that the full contract would be guaranteed if Burleson made more than all of Minnesota's running backs, which at the time was way less than the 7 million he was slated to get.

That was in retaliation for the poison pill Minnesota sent to Seattle on the Steve Hutchinson pick up a few weeks earlier. Seattle lost that round though, because their running game has suffered every since and Burleson didn't turn out to be as much value, though his contract was the same as Hutchinson's was...

It wouldn't take a poison pill. If any team makes an offer, we get 7 days to match or take their first round picks for the next 2 years. I'd take the picks over keeping a disgruntled player.

Let's just drop it, damn. I'm "arguing" with a group of jilted Panthers fans who right now would take Michael Vick before they would bring Julius back, even though Julius hasn't done one thing to embarrass his team or community in seven years. And yet, they want to own him so he can't go somewhere else scot free and set the NFL sacks record.

Your argument, for lack of a better word, is "the NFL can do whatever it wants to do". You're absolutely right. It can. Until someone challenges them on it. That's all I was saying and my words have been twisted into enough straw men to fill B of A Stadium.

People do that a lot around here.

If you give one viewpoint that doesn't share theirs, they automatically assume its yours and that you stand for that viewpoint, even though you just brought it to light.

People do that a lot around here.

If you give one viewpoint that doesn't share theirs, they automatically assume its yours and that you stand for that viewpoint, even though you just brought it to light.

Thanks, dude. Sometimes I swear the people who post on here are drunk. They see a word in a sentence and react to it instead of trying to understand what you are saying.

For the record, I am not sitting here hoping that Julius Peppers sues the NFL, or even thinking he will win if he does. I just think he'd have at least some kind of case if he did, regardless of what the NFL's rules are.

I hope he and the Panthers come to a win win solution and some day Panthers fans get over this and stop acting like Jennifer Anniston. Peppers is a great guy and I swear to you most of you would love sitting down and having a beer with the guy. He gave you five or six good years out of seven. And, I repeat, he is not the first athlete who wanted out of Charlotte.

Thanks, dude. Sometimes I swear the people who post on here are drunk. They see a word in a sentence and react to it instead of trying to understand what you are saying.

For the record, I am not sitting here hoping that Julius Peppers sues the NFL, or even thinking he will win if he does. I just think he'd have at least some kind of case if he did, regardless of what the NFL's rules are.

I hope he and the Panthers come to a win win solution and some day Panthers fans get over this and stop acting like Jennifer Anniston. Peppers is a great guy and I swear to you most of you would love sitting down and having a beer with the guy. He gave you five or six good years out of seven. And, I repeat, he is not the first athlete who wanted out of Charlotte.

Meat, seriously, why are you here? It's obvious you are not a Panther fan, and it's also obvious that you have limited knowledge of how the NFL works (not to mention an utter lack of understanding of how business in general, and unions in particular work). Yet, you persist in fighting a fight in which your entire point has been shown to be without merit...based almost solely on the "it's not fair" defense.

Having an opinion is fine, even if it differs fron others here, but your total disregard for explanations of labor law and your ignoring the fact that Peppers agreed to the terms he is now dealing with leads me to question your motivation. Are you genuinely here to discuss, or are you here to stir the pot and tweak Panther fans? I really can't tell.

I just think he'd have at least some kind of case if he did, regardless of what the NFL's rules are.

And I , and several others have only tried to point out that you are wrong on this. It's the agreement between the players and the NFL (CBA) that defines what Peppers is allowed to do. He has agreed to be bound by it, now wishes that he wasn't. The rules in other leagues, baseball, basketball, hockey, bowling, lawn darts, whatever are not even pertinent. His options are, as previously stated, abide by the established and previously agreed upon rules, or don't play in this league. Peppers and his agent are smart enough to realize that. That's why they haven't initiated the challenges that you propose which would be shot down immediately.

You seem to miss the point that the CBA is a higher level than individual player contracts. Just because Peppers contract with the Panthers will expire next week doesn't mean that he isn't bound by the CBA restrictions. Individual contracts can and have been rejected that do not meet the provisions of the CBA. The salary cap is one of those provisions as is the franchise tag.

PS:

Peppers is a great guy and I swear to you most of you would love sitting down and having a beer with the guy. He gave you five or six good years out of seven. And, I repeat, he is not the first athlete who wanted out of Charlotte.

I've had the opportunity to speak with him at camp. He seemed like a decent enough guy. I found it surprising that he turned down the contract offer that would have made him the highest paid defensive player in the league. Since he's not looking for money, the next possibility is he's looking for individual stats and recognition, a me over team type thing. More power to him somewhere else, but the team is entitled BY THE CBA WHICH HE HAS PREVIOUSLY AGREED TO, to take action to get something in return for his departure.

Meat, seriously, why are you here? It's obvious you are not a Panther fan, and it's also obvious that you have limited knowledge of how the NFL works (not to mention an utter lack of understanding of how business in general, and unions in particular work). Yet, you persist in fighting a fight in which your entire point has been shown to be without merit...based almost solely on the "it's not fair" defense.

Having an opinion is fine, even if it differs fron others here, but your total disregard for explanations of labor law and your ignoring the fact that Peppers agreed to the terms he is now dealing with leads me to question your motivation. Are you genuinely here to discuss, or are you here to stir the pot and tweak Panther fans? I really can't tell.

Seriously, why are YOU here? fug off.

Thanks for showing your true colors. Folks, we have a troll!!!

I personally know most of the players. What are your credentials, jackass? You are a legal expert, an expert on the team's inner workings, blah blah blah blah.

Or you're just another message board idiot. All hat, no cattle.

Archived