• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"3 years from now, this guy will be a top 5 Elite NFL QB"

Awesomeness!!

Kiper- "JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room," ESPN's Mel Kiper said at the time. "Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

Mcshay- "I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

Kiper- QB, Utah - A smart player who will pick up an NFL system quickly, (Alex) Smith has good size, is mobile enough to hurt teams with his running ability and is also an efficient passer who can make all the necessary throws.

I like Cams chances..

My favorite

In 2005, Kiper praised 8th overall selection, wide receiver Mike Williams, saying, "I'll see you at his Hall of Fame induction." Many people have yet to fully recognize the abilities Kiper saw in Williams. These people include coaches, fans, analysts, referees, the players on the teams he played for and against, and anyone else who has seen him in a football jersey. Williams’ journey to the Hall of Fame suffered a slight detour in 2007 when he stopped playing football and no one wanted to sign him.

Kiper argued that Ryan Leaf, 2nd overall pick, had an attitude that would be an asset in the NFL

He once snidely remarked of the Colts, "That's why [they] keep picking number two every year," after their 1994 second overall selection. Kiper was widely critical of the Colts’ pick that year, Marshall Faulk, who turned out to be such a bust that he is expected to be inducted into the NFL Hall of Fame in the near future.

What point are your making? Smith was a typical bust, but Russell failed simply because of a horrid attitude and work ethic. Which is not a problem for Newton.

Almost every number 1 pick, including bums like Russell and Smith were praised by the scouts and "experts". Only Cam has had to deal with this BS. It will help Cam. It should motivate him.

Kipper and McShay earn their reputation on what guys do AFTER their drafted not before, and they build their hype accordingly. Now with that being said I'm pretty sure everyone has seen Cams presser today. Compare what you saw from Cam today to this...

Almost every number 1 pick, including bums like Russell and Smith were praised by the scouts and "experts". Only Cam has had to deal with this BS. It will help Cam. It should motivate him.

Hopefully what you are saying is true.

Perhaps the "experts" realize they have been burned by bad picks in the past and are quick to point out ANY flaws.

This could be taken as a good or bad thing.

Considering the high likelihood that the rookie pay scale will be much less than in the past, do you think the "risk" of a first rounder being a bust to a team will also be much less? I thought the purpose of a revised pay scale was to reward those who have already demonstrated their ability to perform and to reduce those large rookie contracts that handicap a teams future. Hence less investment and risk by the team on 1st rounders.

Archived