• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Traveling to NYC - need advice!

Chaos

renting a car and driving is cool in most places but I wouldn't recommend doing it in NYC. Too difficult of drive for a NY newb

Just my opinion here, but if you take your GPS, and are a decent driver, it ain't that bad.

Washington DC traffic is much worse.

For 70 ish bucks a day, renting the car and being able to get around at your leisure is very worth it to me.

Just my opinion here, but if you take your GPS, and are a decent driver, it ain't that bad.

Washington DC traffic is much worse.

For 70 ish bucks a day, renting the car and being able to get around at your leisure is very worth it to me.

agree with this. but if you aren't used to aggressive driving you are going to have problems.

GPS is a must.

Ya its fine if you like sitting in traffic for eternity.

Just make sure you have the 4in thick rubber bumper guards like the taxi's have and you should be able to barrel your way through that clusterfug just fine.

Advice for the OP. Be ready to spend some money. Expense it hopefully.

Everything is more expensive. Absolutely nothing is free. If it is hot, the streets will smell of dead fish and sewage. People throw out their trash on the curb everyday. No trash cans as I recall.

Be sure to walk like you are about ready to kill someone. Your southern leisure strut will get you run over and at night this pace will get you robbed.

Other than that it is the greatest place on earth. Have fun!

Just make sure you have the 4in thick rubber bumper guards like the taxi's have and you should be able to barrel your way through that clusterfug just fine.

Everything is more expensive. Absolutely nothing is free. If it is hot, the streets will smell of dead fish and sewage. People throw out their trash on the curb everyday. No trash cans as I recall.

Be sure to walk like you are about ready to kill someone. Your southern leisure strut will get you run over and at night this pace will get you robbed.Other than that it is the greatest place on earth. Have fun!

One tip I learned from a Manhattanite is when you walk, esp thru a crowd, don't look anyone in the eye. They will move out of your way, instead of you having to move. I tried it in the subway stations, it works!

Be sure to walk like you are about ready to kill someone. Your southern leisure strut will get you run over and at night this pace will get you robbed.

Other than that it is the greatest place on earth. Have fun!

WTF. When was the last time you were in NYC? 1937.

Archived