• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's me or the dog.....

Johnny Rockets

My youngest one used to be pretty bad, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as you're describing. He got better when i started talking to him, and giving him affection during the storm. Now he sleeps through the night, but on a large pillow in the corner of the bedroom. Basically bedside.

My youngest one used to be pretty bad, but it doesn't sound anywhere near as bad as you're describing. He got better when i started talking to him, and giving him affection during the storm. Now he sleeps through the night, but on a large pillow in the corner of the bedroom. Basically bedside.

My dog used to be fine but when she got around 10 or so it just came out of nowhere. Now it gets worse everytime. There is no consoling her and I really think at her age it is going to kill her. It has gotten that bad so I guess meds have to be the way to go.

I didn't go that far yet, but I admittedly took out a bottle of Nyquil at 3am and started reading the back label to see if it said anything about dogs. I figured it was a better option then the rubber mallet I had in my other hand.

I had a cat that got into some old insulation, and was going crazy, so I gave her some NyQuil to put her out. Well it did its job, knocked the cat out with no harmful side effects. Unfortunately the dog got into her spiked food. Although it didn't make him pass out he was drunk!! Anyway, point is NyQuil might work (prolly cheaper than vet and Xanax) in the right dosage without any harm.

But, I'm no vet though......:D

I second the benadryl if you don't wanna go the xanax route (my dog tried that once, it made her worse). The vet usually says 1 mg per lb. for dogs, so I gave her 2 pills.

So yeah, don't go killing Sasha.

Who are you and why do you know my dogs name? <creepy>

(Actually it's Tasha)

So how long does it take to kick in usually? I'm gonna try that tonight I think.

A vet who used to work in Fla said that he had had some success with Valerian Root in prevention of thunderstorm activity. It has no side effects. You give to the dog daily and if it works he will tolerate a stom without the anxiety. It is cheap...can buy in Walmart. Don't remember the dosage...so you would ahve to look that up. Best option if it works.

Also good for people with anmiety or sleep problems.

what if you put the dog to bed with the daughter, let them sleep together...

Not a chance....the dog is in full panic mode....we tried lifting her up and putting her on our bed before but she is panting so heavy that the bed is shaking. She won't stay still either. The last couple of nights if I don't respond to the dog then the dog goes in my daughter's room and wakes her up then she winds up in my room also.

Last night I let the dog out in the storm around 3am. Then she stood on the back porch and wouldn't come back in. I couldn't leave her out there so I go out in a monsoon with lightning everywhere trying to push a 60lb soak n'wet dog in the house while in only my boxers and slipping on a slug in my bare feet. Pretty sure I invented some new cuss words by the time I finally got in the house.

I'm gonna give the benadryl a try.....I don't think the natural valerian root or melotin stuff is gonna work in this case.... I'll report back.

Who are you and why do you know my dogs name? <creepy>

(Actually it's Tasha)

So how long does it take to kick in usually? I'm gonna try that tonight I think.

A thank you would be in order......

Honestly though, give it to here about 30 mins before storm, or right before you go to sleep.

Archived