• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

looking to buy a camera... advice needed

PhillyB

i'm leaving for southeast asia in 5 weeks, and i'll be hiking the inca trail in peru in august, so i need something ASAP so i can test it out properly before leaving.

i'd like to keep it under $600 if possible. lightweight/compact is a plus, DLSR would be great but i'm not necessarily looking for something quite that advanced. i need something that's good enough to take extremely sharp pictures, preferably something that would allow me to print large copies, decent panoramas, etc.

the one i've looked at and been extra interested in thus far is the Sony NEX-3, it's unbelievably light-weight, plenty of features, high frame rate, detachable lens.

anybody got experience/advice they'd like to share?

We are very amateur photographers (even though the wife takes agozillion pics), and I can tell you what not to get. It seems your in the market for something nicer, but here is my experience with camera.

I bought the wife a Nikon cool-pix L22 and neither one of us likes it. It takes shaky pics, even when held still, and the colors often have a weird hue. Again we're amateurs and these are probably easy fixes, but this camera def is not good for just pointing and clicking.

Archived