• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How well do your kids sleep?

LiQuiD

As you all know, I'm a proud father of a little girl who will be three weeks old tomorrow. I'm curious to find out what the Huddle's experiences have been with their own children as far as sleeping at night is concerned.

We feel like we've been very fortunate that we sleep, on average, between six and eight hours per night. Our little Charlotte usually wakes up twice to feed during the night and goes right back to sleep once she's satiated. Total wake time of maybe 1-1.5 hours.

Of course, a night here and there she wants to cry for a little bit or just stay awake for an hour or so looking around.

I'm not sure if I'm bragging or what. :D

Anyhoo, just curious what your experience(s) have been, specifically during the first month. Feel free to share things you think I should be on the lookout for in the future, as well.

Happy 4th too, by the way!

:sifone:

Honestly, I have no idea how well my son sleeps.

I always sleep through it and my wife gets up with him.

If my son does wake me up, I nudge my wife and once she sits up I pretend like I have been asleep the whole time.

I know anyone reading this probably thinks I am a deadbeat, but I am not.

Our exchange is that I let my wife sleep in and I get up with my son around six in the morning and feed him, change him, and play with him.

Honestly, I have no idea how well my son sleeps.

I always sleep through it and my wife gets up with him.

If my son does wake me up, I nudge my wife and once she sits up I pretend like I have been asleep the whole time.

I know anyone reading this probably thinks I am a deadbeat, but I am not.

Our exchange is that I let my wife sleep in and I get up with my son around six in the morning and feed him, change him, and play with him.

My wife lets me sleep through the night during the work week, but I try to get up and help her if possible. I generally wake up and ask her if she needs my help, but she normally doesn't. She says there's no use in both of us being awake at night since she's breastfeeding which is awfully sweet of her and I'm sure my customers appreciate that. :D

Sundays are my only day off so Saturday nights I try to get up and take care of the changing, burping and swaddling duties so she can stay in bed. I guess breastfeeding kind of takes me out of the equation for the most part, but I want to help any way I can.

my oldest slept like a log when she was little...always in her own bed, in her own room. Once she was sleeping, nothing would wake her.

my youngest...started out pretty good, but her teething was terrible. At the same time, I was working a hell of a lot, long long hours and days in a row so my wife would do all she could to try to help me get some decent sleep...this typically involved her bringing the baby into our room. That habit has stuck and even today, at 10 years old, quite often she'll make her way to our room in the middle of the night.

lesson....new parents...let them cry and leave them in their own room as much as possible!

my oldest slept like a log when she was little...always in her own bed, in her own room. Once she was sleeping, nothing would wake her.

my youngest...started out pretty good, but her teething was terrible. At the same time, I was working a hell of a lot, long long hours and days in a row so my wife would do all she could to try to help me get some decent sleep...this typically involved her bringing the baby into our room. That habit has stuck and even today, at 10 years old, quite often she'll make her way to our room in the middle of the night.

lesson....new parents...let them cry and leave them in their own room as much as possible!

I think it was our first night home that we let her sleep in the bed with us. We had been awake for two days, needed sleep and were willing to do whatever was necessary to get some.

That was the last time we did so. This weekend we started putting her down in her crib in her own bedroom instead of in the playard bassinet in our bedroom.

We're only letting her sleep in the crib at night so hopefully she associates the crib with bedtime. We'll see how that works.

Guest MaskedMilitant

When my two were tiny, once they hit about 2 or 3 months old they would sleep through out the night. Now they are 3 and 5 and they saw logs, sleep for 12 hours straight!

Archived