• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

the ultimate hypothetical thread

bLACKpANTHER

I agree that our defense needs an overhaul. The defense put us in a hole almost all the second half of last season but when we needed our QB to step up when it really mattered he turned the ball over 6 times. You can't just focus on defense and ignore the fact that we need a QB who can manage the game. I used to think that was Jake but too many times last year Jake made extremely poor decisions.

I agree that our defense needs an overhaul. The defense put us in a hole almost all the second half of last season but when we needed our QB to step up when it really mattered he turned the ball over 6 times. You can't just focus on defense and ignore the fact that we need a QB who can manage the game. I used to think that was Jake but too many times last year Jake made extremely poor decisions.
plug the holes first.

why would you want a defense that forces you to have an offense that comes even further from behind?

doesn't make good sense.

we shouldn't have to come from behind that much. we should be castrating opposing offenses. we do this then we wouldn't have to go finding more weapons to shoot down their prodigy. does that make sense?

imagine i have a cheese store. if i have a problem with mice getting my cheese what would make more sense to do? make a whole lot more cheese to stay ahead of the amount that the mice were eating or terminate the mice so i didn't keep losing cheese?

if i have a bucket that sprung a leak that is causing me to lose a lot of water that i need for my horses what would make more sense (especially in drought conditions)? plug the leak or just keep putting more water in it?

is this clear?

I will say this. You could just about re-haul the entire defensive unit save for Jon Beason, Chris Gamble, Harris, and Davis, but the one signing that's really going to prove to have the most influence is Ron Meeks.

Believe it or not we have better than average talent on this defense already.

Its our running game that is the best its been in years, not the offense as a whole. There is sooooo much talent available via free angecy this year. Get a QB,WR and address THE DENFENSE IN THE DRAFT !!!

where and who is the QB talent available in FA?

there is no one who is enough of an upgrade (if they can even be called an upgrade at all) over jake to warrant putting the offense through the chaos that would come with changing who we have at the helm.

this is not and has never been considered a good FA class for QBs. best option is to wait and work on more immediate needs.

to do otherwise would be rushing an answer and settling for someone.

if your counterpoint to what i just said is going to be, "aren't we just settling for jake?" let me get your response ready....why should we have to replace one average QB for another one? why should we settle for a mediocre talent behind center so that we could replace another mediocre talent.

do i believe that jake is mediocre? doesn't matter. you are going to say that he is so i am meeting you on that ground that you are standing.

if you are going to make a change at QB, he had better be one outstanding option (of which there are none available).

plug the holes first.

why would you want a defense that forces you to have an offense that comes even further from behind?

doesn't make good sense.

we shouldn't have to come from behind that much. we should be castrating opposing offenses. we do this then we wouldn't have to go finding more weapons to shoot down their prodigy. does that make sense?

imagine i have a cheese store. if i have a problem with mice getting my cheese what would make more sense to do? make a whole lot more cheese to stay ahead of the amount that the mice were eating or terminate the mice so i didn't keep losing cheese?

if i have a bucket that sprung a leak that is causing me to lose a lot of water that i need for my horses what would make more sense (especially in drought conditions)? plug the leak or just keep putting more water in it?

is this clear?

Or you could put a quick fix like tape or epoxy of some kind now, then later just buy a new bucket?

To put that into this conversation. The biggest problem with our D (other then scheme) was the lack of consistent pressure. Pick a cheap player or two in FA and a player in the draft and put them into rotation. This works on a Dline but try that same strategy at QB and see where it gets you. Lets face it is a lot easier finding Dlineman then it is to find a Franchise QB so if you have the ability to get one you better take the chance.

where and who is the QB talent available in FA?

there is no one who is enough of an upgrade (if they can even be called an upgrade at all) over jake to warrant putting the offense through the chaos that would come with changing who we have at the helm.

this is not and has never been considered a good FA class for QBs. best option is to wait and work on more immediate needs.

to do otherwise would be rushing an answer and settling for someone.

if your counterpoint to what i just said is going to be, "aren't we just settling for jake?" let me get your response ready....why should we have to replace one average QB for another one? why should we settle for a mediocre talent behind center so that we could replace another mediocre talent.

do i believe that jake is mediocre? doesn't matter. you are going to say that he is so i am meeting you on that ground that you are standing.

if you are going to make a change at QB, he had better be one outstanding option (of which there are none available).

The talent we already have at QB could be enough but this team needs to have what it hasn't had in years, an actual open competition for the position. It's been Jake's job to lose since 2003 (and if it was up to me he would have already lost it) you can't keep beating the dead horse and expecting it to have a miraculous recovery you have to move on and find a new horse.

Or you could put a quick fix like tape or epoxy of some kind now, then later just buy a new bucket?

To put that into this conversation. The biggest problem with our D (other then scheme) was the lack of consistent pressure. Pick a cheap player or two in FA and a player in the draft and put them into rotation. This works on a Dline but try that same strategy at QB and see where it gets you. Lets face it is a lot easier finding Dlineman then it is to find a Franchise QB so if you have the ability to get one you better take the chance.

let me say this again.

there are no franchise QBs available.

Dline is not a cheap fix. it has to be fixed and it is a more immediate need than QB. we were weak on the dline last year and will be even weaker if we don't have peppers. if we don't fix that it doesn't matter who you get at QB (especially from who is available this year), they aren't going to be able to consistently overcome the holes that our dline will leave open.

Hidden

The talent we already have at QB could be enough but this team needs to have what it hasn't had in years, an actual open competition for the position. It's been Jake's job to lose since 2003 (and if it was up to me he would have already lost it) you can't keep beating the dead horse and expecting it to have a miraculous recovery you have to move on and find a new horse.

what you just said was an argument for improving the dline first. thanks.

let me say this again.

there are no franchise QBs available.

Dline is not a cheap fix. it has to be fixed and it is a more immediate need than QB. we were weak on the dline last year and will be even weaker if we don't have peppers. if we don't fix that it doesn't matter who you get at QB (especially from who is available this year), they aren't going to be able to consistently overcome the holes that our dline will leave open.

I agree with you that the Dline as of now is priority #1, but I think QB is a very close #2. And getting back to the origins of this thread, Peppers for Cutler, I think it would be a no-brainier IMO.

wouldn't have to have a miraculous recovery or miraculous comebacks if we had a defense that could shut the other teams offense down.

plug the holes first.

deal with QB when there are significantly better options available.

Jake Delhomme > Jay Cutler

that's right, I said it. Cutler is a chump and a crybaby with a strong arm and no aim

How do you figure a guy in his Mid-20's played better with less talent then a guy in his Mid-30's with an all-pro running game, one of the best OLines, and IMO the best WR. Not to mention Jake was on a run first team and Cutler was on a 6 starting RB's on IR team.

Archived