• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brandon Marshall has BPD

mav1234

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-brandon-marshall-borderline-person20110730,0,3435299.story

Marshall has received counseling five different times, sometimes by NFL order. But all they really led to was more frustration.

"Count to 10! What's that going to do?" Marshall says. "I'm still angry when I'm finished."

Tick … tick … tick

Four years of therapy never helped Marshall gain a better understanding of his issues or how to deal with them. Until now.

After three months of treatment and therapy, psychological and neurological exams at Boston's McLean Hospital, the training ground for Harvard University medical students, Marshall believes he's finally at the root of his struggles.

He has been diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, or BPD.

"BPD is a well understood psychological disorder. It's not a form of misbehavior," said Mary Zanarini, a professor of psychology at Harvard Medical School, who treated Marshall this summer.

BPD is a mental illness that studies say is more common than schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, but is rarely diagnosed because of misperceptions in the mental health community, and the challenges of providing a proper treatment plan.

The disorder is marked by difficulties with relationships and self-image and controlling moods and emotions.

Explains a great deal of his behavior actually... I hope he can get treatment.

I'm no doctor.

But I could tell something wasn't quite right when he was in Denver.

I remember a clip in particular where he was refusing to participate and slapping away passes thrown at him.

He generally has a good attitude and I was wondering what in the world made him act that way.

I am glad he is getting some help, I am really feeling for him!

Archived