• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam is not ready

The Saltman

When Cam has time and opts to use proper mechanics.....he can be very accurate. that has been reported by several people all camp....

Cam has GREAT touch on deep balls. he will eventually get the short stuff down.....

I have never seen such unrealistic expectations.......people just like to forget about the lockout, new scheme, and the fact we are throwing a rookie out there. We aren't suppose to look good

i think you need to do a little research both d-will & j stew ran from single back spread formations in college, in fact the knock on d-will was whether he could be a between the tackles runner or just a change of pace scat back

This is not college... The NFL is a different beast.

It's not even so much against them...

In run first you have a FB to lead the way, think hoover....Also It's harder for the D-Line to read the run play.

When you sit back in a spread, your RB doesn't get a running start to the handoff, and it is easier for the defense to see and read the run, thus reacting quicker.

That's why teams in the NFL who uses shot gun a lot uses the short passing game, and a lot of screens as their running game. They are not trying to power run from the spread formation.... ain't gonna work in the NFL.

Seriously, watch the games back on NFL network and you will see that is a major reason as to why our running game looks like crap. I've seen each game thus far at least twice and you can really observe the plays and watch positions if you just tivo or dvr it on NFL network.

This is not college... The NFL is a different beast.

It's not even so much against them...

In run first you have a FB to lead the way, think hoover....Also It's harder for the D-Line to read the run play.

When you sit back in a spread, your RB doesn't get a running start to the handoff, and it is easier for the defense to see and read the run, thus reacting quicker.

That's why teams in the NFL who uses shot gun a lot uses the short passing game, and a lot of screens as their running game. They are not trying to power run from the spread formation.... ain't gonna work in the NFL.

Seriously, watch the games back on NFL network and you will see that is a major reason as to why our running game looks like crap. I've seen each game thus far at least twice and you can really observe the plays and watch positions if you just tivo or dvr it on NFL network.

i watch plenty of games & have dvr'ed all of our games & we aren't running power formation style football any more. we are using alot of 2 te sets & using our fullback more like a h-back & not like we used hoover. this is not fox ball anymore

i watch plenty of games & have dvr'ed all of our games & we aren't running power formation style football any more. we are using alot of 2 te sets & using our fullback more like a h-back & not like we used hoover. this is not fox ball anymore

That's my point.... and what type of success have you seen in the running game with it.... Exactly.

Which is why I said if we wanted to be a spread/pass first team then it was pointless to tie up all that $$$ in the RB position because you aren't going to be successful running in the NFL from that type of scheme... as the pre season is showing.

That's my point.... and what type of success have you seen in the running game with it.... Exactly.

Which is why I said if we wanted to be a spread/pass first team then it was pointless to tie up all that $$$ in the RB position because you aren't going to be successful running in the NFL from that type of scheme... as the pre season is showing.

i think the patriots run fine out of similar type formations & the reason we can't run the ball is cause our o line isn't getting the job done

i think the patriots run fine out of similar type formations & the reason we can't run the ball is cause our o line isn't getting the job done

Patriots have like 5 to 6 rb's they can throw in to run whenever.... I mean they have freakin danny woodhead...

but look at their Wr's and TE's... They use the pass to set up the run. They are a pass first offense.... They spread teams out and run occasionaly to keep teams off balance. If you are running that type of offense you don't need a D-Will and J Stew... sutton and goodson would do just fine.

If you look, there is no lead blocking which also hurts our running game... Our spread offense is not scaring teams like the patriots and packers so they don't have to sell out on the run to protect the pass every play... And with that delay handoff you cans ee the defenses are getting great reads on the running plays as soon as they happen. So the scheme does not help the O-line or RB's out in this offense at all.

Patriots have like 5 to 6 rb's they can throw in to run whenever.... I mean they have freakin danny woodhead...

but look at their Wr's and TE's... They use the pass to set up the run. They are a pass first offense.... They spread teams out and run occasionaly to keep teams off balance. If you are running that type of offense you don't need a D-Will and J Stew... sutton and goodson would do just fine.

If you look, there is no lead blocking which also hurts our running game... Our spread offense is not scaring teams like the patriots and packers so they don't have to sell out on the run to protect the pass every play... And with that delay handoff you cans ee the defenses are getting great reads on the running plays as soon as they happen. So the scheme does not help the O-line or RB's out in this offense at all.

i don't expect to see us try to run out of a spread shotgun look all the time once the reg season starts but we will attempt to run out of 3 wr or 2 te single back formations. wouldn't surprise me if shockey & olsen start together

The spread will kill our team. We are built for the run. Our two best offensive players are RBs. If Cam can't learn to work within that and we make a strength a weakness he shouldn't be on the field.

Psst, DeAngelo and Stewart both ran perfectly fine out of the spread in college. More teams are doing it in the NFL and honestly with as bad as our OL play has been lately it might be a good idea to start doing it more.

i dunno, Chud was never a huge running guy in Cleveland either, at least not in 2007.

Chud just had a primary RB in 07. He was 5th in yards, 7th in attempts, and 7th in rushing TDs. They ran very well in 07. He put a load on a RB and he delievered. The run setup everything DA was able to do.

He also used a FB often....and he probably should of gone to the pro bowl in 07.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived