• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

'The Help'

Dpantherman

My grandmother had been begging me to see this movie with her as soon as the first preview came out. And I wasn't exactly thrilled going in. And of course there were lots of women and very few men. All that said, I was shocked at how good that movie was. I laughed my ass off on more than a few occasions. It really hit close to home because my grandmother was raised by her own grandmother who was a maid herself. She still carries some 'resentment' of sorts because of that, and doesn't exactly think about race the same way I do.

But anyway, I really thought it was well done. Could have done without the 'fried chicken' (if you see the movie, you'll know), but its a part of the culture and times, so whatever. Make me describe it in 3 words- Inspirational, heart-warming, and fun. Violas Davis did one HELL of a job in her role. Very under-rate actress. I give it a B+ (maybe an A- im no movie critic).

PS...Emma Stone....:drool5:

I remember my grandma and my mom for a little while both had big ass cans of lard in the kitchen. My grandma has since passes on (damn pancreatic cancer) and my mom has started cooking healthier.

I thought the Help was based on a true story when I first saw the trailer but the more I read about it the more I didn't really want to see it but I've heard nothing but good things about it.

I left out an actress, Octavia Spencer's facial expressions throughout the film were hilarious. She provided a lot of comedic relieve throughout. She had some good dramatic scenes too, but her parts were the ones that had me laughing. I believe I've seen her in a few other films, but nothing with a major part. Could be a big breakout film for him.

Archived