• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cutler should be a legit thought...

DelhommesTheMan

Yeah you made that clear...I wasn't trying to imply you were saying they were all a part of the trade. I just meant that having a good pass rusher, a starting QB, and a kicker makes that trade lopsided.

SD made out like kings.

Didn't keep a QB who didn't want to play for them, and got a QB who is top 3 in the league. Not to mention a fantastic pass rusher, and a Pro Bowl Kicker.

Three legit Pro Bowl players for one QB who has been good at best.

One of the best draft day trades ever.

But who won the Ring?

The Giants defense won the ring. Eli and his offense managed only 17 points, but the D held the 36.8 point per game scoring Pats offense to 14.

Eli is a decent QB at best, and he's nowhere near the top of his class.

SD made out like kings.

Didn't keep a QB who didn't want to play for them, and got a QB who is top 3 in the league. Not to mention a fantastic pass rusher, and a Pro Bowl Kicker.

Three legit Pro Bowl players for one QB who has been good at best.

One of the best draft day trades ever.

It was excellent, but basically getting LDT & Brees (and maybe there was another pick too) for Ronnie Mex was better IMO...lol

Hahaha, so the Giants are one year wonders? You must not watch many games...

Ummm, I watch almost every game that is played by every team. Honestly.

The Giants are good, but you have to admit they did have quite a bit of luck on that road to the SB, and tons of luck during the actual game.

Again, I would rather have a consistent playoff contender.

Well fuzz, to explain a bit more...part of the reason I say that is that I think far far far less of Vick's QBing ability than I do of Eli's.

And I think Brees is a FAR FAR FAR better QB than Vick ever was also. And LdT was an absolute STUD RB for many years. At this point in time, I think it is a little too early to call that 2004 trade as far better than the 2001 trade. Certainly it could be true in the future after it all plays out though.

Well fuzz, to explain a bit more...part of the reason I say that is that I think far far far less of Vick's QBing ability than I do of Eli's.

And I think Brees is a FAR FAR FAR better QB than Vick ever was also. And LdT was an absolute STUD RB for many years. At this point in time, I think it is a little too early to call that 2004 trade as far better than the 2001 trade. Certainly it could be true in the future after it all plays out though.

I totally agree with the Vick/Brees ability deal, and LDT as you call him is, and has been a stud in this league for 8 years. Although he didn't have a great year for him, he still rushed for over 1K and had 12 TD's which most rb's dream of. SD did develop a huge fanbase because of him. That is very true.

My arguement to that would be. Who is still helping the Bolts try to win a SB?

Rivers is still there, and playing better than Brees ever did as a Charger, and Merriman has at least 3 more seasons playing in the powder blues before they will be forced to draw up another contract or let him walk. Kaeding is a very good kicker, and will probably play for them for at least 10 more years.

Brees was able to walk, with no compensation, so that is the one big drawback to the 2001 trade, but I can totally understand your position.

Give it two more years, and we will be able to truly see which one is/was the best trade.

At the end of the day that is two HUGE trades for one team in the past 8 years...I am jealous to be honest.

As a side note, we swapped picks with Seattle in the second round, for their 4th round pick.

They got Lofa Tatupu, we got Eric Shelton and Stephan Lefors. :(

We have never been good at trading picks although Otah might just be the exception to the rule.

Archived