• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NFL.com Peppers/Patriots *possible* update

PantherExpress

Every year is a very deep draft. talk about a cliche

We need a mid 1st rounder at least

It's about talent and needs (which we have a few of now) not how high they go in the draft, how many first round bust have there been? You can still find diamonds in the rough (i.e Tom Brady, Terell Davis, Marques Colston)

this 34th overall pick would be better than nothing.

Exactly

If we didn't franchise him, he would've walked. This trade would give us some cap space and a pick we didn't have. Plus, 2nd rounders don't request as much money as the 1st rounders. So we save some more money by not having a 1st rounder. Hope this trade works out, so this team can move forward and fix the defense.

It would be better if the pats ad a 3rd or 4th round pick.;)

Pep ain't going anywhere for anything less than a 1st and a second... Miami is the only one that's close to offering that, and we're just as content with forcing Pep to play as a Panther at one year franchise deals from here on out...

Regardless of what Carl Carey thinks, we own all the leverage... Pep can play as a Panther, or he can not honor his contract and sit out of football... That's the bottom line... If we were that desperate to move him, he would be gone already... We have no interest in the FA market, and are content enough with our current team/draft position that we will stand pat.. no pun intended....

apparently the panthers asked for the second.

edit* as in they had told the pats if they could wrangle up a high second it was a done deal.

Hopefully that isn't all they asked for though.

It actually does make a lot of sense to have a top pick in the second as opposed to a first.(in this situation)

But I think we all hope that isn't all.

I wonder if we will actually use the money that would have gone to first round picks and extend some of our own players.(like Davis, Williams)

We heard of the Broncos trying to get Cassel before KC somehow got him.

34th pick means we get first round talent at a second round price. Michael Johnson, Alphonso Smith, these are some of the names that might wind up in the early second round simply from people drafting for needs first.

I'd take the 2nd rounder and go for something else as well.

Still doubt he'll be traded just yet. I'm still thinking it'll happen on draft day.

great, so we basically traded a complete package DE for a situational pass rusher who is worthless against the run and has an awful motor?

I don't want Michael Johnson as our first selection. First round talent, 7th round work ethic.

Pep ain't going anywhere for anything less than a 1st and a second... Miami is the only one that's close to offering that, and we're just as content with forcing Pep to play as a Panther at one year franchise deals from here on out...

Regardless of what Carl Carey thinks, we own all the leverage... Pep can play as a Panther, or he can not honor his contract and sit out of football... That's the bottom line... If we were that desperate to move him, he would be gone already... We have no interest in the FA market, and are content enough with our current team/draft position that we will stand pat.. no pun intended....

There is no way anyone will offer a 1st and 2nd for him, it would cost too much and not leave them any expansion room for the other positions they need to fill. Also Peppers will not be in Carolina next year we can't afford to waste that much monsy for a guy who is leaving anyway and won't have the proper motivation to be there anyway. The Pats deal will be finalized by the end of the month.

Why do people question his motivation? Seriously....

If he didn't think it was "possible" that he could play in Carolina next year, he wouldn't have signed his Franchise tender...

As I said, he can honor that contract, or he can sit on his ass and waste what little youth he has left...

Pep, much like Jenkins, has gotten a raw deal from a lot of you "fans" who question him and his ability constantly....

The only way Peppers leaves town is going to be for that second rounder and another first (be it in the future or not), or some player we see as valuable... Honestly, we don't like player for player trades and feel the most value would be had from straight up draft picks...

Again, we hold the leverage.. not Pep... He can remain a Panther, and we will make moves to afford it, shoud someone not offer us fair value for him...

Marty Hurney is a lot of things, but stupid is not one of them...

Archived