• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Peppers and Cutler some thoughts

BlindSite

Imminense is over stated

In the recent hours much ado about nothing has begun in regards to Julius Peppers and the New England Patriots. Vic Carriucci of NFL.com recently reported the dealing as imminent and believes that a trade between the Panthers and the Patriots are ready and willing to exchange a 2nd round pick (34th overall) for Julius Peppers.

As Marty Hurney stated in a recent press release, right now it is illegal for the Panthers and Patriots to have any kind of negotiation. Therefore it's difficult to envision a trade going through with any form of immediacy.

Realistically Julius Peppers is yet to visit New England and tour the facilities, meet with the coaches and front office staff, or even consider some kind of contract offer. There hasn't been any reports of a planned visit and the New England staff have remained silent through the whole process.

Peppers will likely command a contract in the vicinity of Jared Allen's contract last year, and any contract he signs is likely to come with a 12 million dollar cap hit. The patriots are not known for throwing money around like a drunk philanthropist and it's doubtful they'd reach a financial agreement with Peppers via phone or e-mail,which at this point are the only possible way the Patriots have dealt with Peppers.

If this trade were to occur we would first see Peppers making a flight to New England to meet with their staff. We would then see the Peppers' representatives make contact with the Panthers in order to gauge their demands and interests in a trade with new england. After there would be a signing of he franchise tender the Panthers have placed on Peppers and then trade papers filed with the league, sending Peppers to the Pats for compensation.

This is far from an imminent deal and realistically the easiest cursor to watch for is Peppers signing his tender, though it's possible it would happen all at once.

To address other concerns a 34th overall pick, as Steve Reed pointed out is better than nothing. However, accepting a block of lead for a gold nugget isn't exactly a fair trade. The Panthers would be more likely to push for some late round picks in addition to the second so the team could shift somewhat within the earlier rounds to capture the players they need.

This presents a conundrum as the Patriots aren't known for being generous in the picks they give away. Take from this, in regards to the likelihood of a trade what you will.

To comment on the other matter that is currently being discussed. Jay Cutler.

To put it simply, anyone who would rather have Delhomme than Jay Cutler is insane. Sure Jake is probably right now a better leader in the huddle than Jay Cutler, and yes, as pointed out by the Charlotte Observer Cutler has made some ill advised comments in the Denver Media. However, he has played incredibly well considering when he arrived in Denver the core of running backs and offensive linemen, not to mention defense simply disintegrated around him.

In all three of his seasons, including his rookie year he has had a better passer rating than Delhomme has in his past two full seasons.

Though its acceptable to believe there'd be an adjustment due to the fact he's coming from a different system and is changing conference, with the best running game in the NFL at his feet and an all pro wide receiver to throw to from behind one of the NFL's best offensive lines he would flourish, quickly.

Cutler is one of the top young talents at the quarterback position and as good as Delhomme has been for the Panthers in the past he simply isn't as a good a quarterback and is never going to be as good as quarterback as Cutler already is and if he is available the Panthers should be making enquiries.

If the Panthers want to win a super bowl and are legitimately committed to doing so they have an obligation to search every avenue available, and the best avenue to reach that goal is in a navy and orange number 6.

Imminense is over stated

To put it simply, anyone who would rather have Delhomme than Jay Cutler is insane. Sure Jake is probably right now a better leader in the huddle than Jay Cutler, and yes, as pointed out by the Charlotte Observer Cutler has made some ill advised comments in the Denver Media. However, he has played incredibly well considering when he arrived in Denver the core of running backs and offensive linemen, not to mention defense simply disintegrated around him.

In all three of his seasons, including his rookie year he has had a better passer rating than Delhomme has in his past two full seasons.

BS- me and you tend to always see "eye 2 eye", and rarely do we disagree.

BUT YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND, on Cutler. Cutler did what in his three years with the Broncos?

He has a big arm, and a lot of YPG but what about winning when it matters? What about the intangibles? You cant teach intangibles.

Sorry man, but seems like mine and your personal bias is 180 out. I think Cutler is not a good decision. IMO

And to the "anyone who would rather have jake delhomme over jay cutler is insane" comment, i wonder what steve smith would say....

BS- me and you tend to always see "eye 2 eye", and rarely do we disagree.

BUT YOU ARE OUT OF YOUR MIND, on Cutler. Cutler did what in his three years with the Broncos?

He has a big arm, and a lot of YPG but what about winning when it matters? What about the intangibles? You cant teach intangibles.

Sorry man, but seems like mine and your personal bias is 180 out. I think Cutler is not a good decision. IMO

And to the "anyone who would rather have jake delhomme over jay cutler is insane" comment, i wonder what steve smith would say....

Cutler played at a college where he was surrounded with no talent, but continued to work hard, play hard and will him team to some very hard fought victories.

In the NFL he took over from Jake Plummer who though maligned was LOVED by his team mates and managed to rally his team to a good performance.

He managed to get through the issues with Marshall and Walker and has had more than enough comebacks in his history to be considered an able quarterback in the fourth quarter and when the game is on the line.

He has intangibles, he has the arm and he has the aptitude. He certainly has more in the way of intangibles than most starting QBs in the league and with the other leaders on offense we have he could flourish without being a supreme field general.

I dont know, I just dont like Cutler, his impression, actions, and selfishness are not my style.

Not to include his "bill and ted" interviews, kids sounds like he smoked a blunt in the locker room after games.

Just me though, 2 each thier own.

I am a man of conviction, I knew DeAngelo would be great, told everyone Peppers was a waste of money and that there is more to Jake than most give credit.

I will just stick to my guns, Cutler is not the QB I would want in Carolina.

Cutler played at a college where he was surrounded with no talent, but continued to work hard, play hard and will him team to some very hard fought victories.

In the NFL he took over from Jake Plummer who though maligned was LOVED by his team mates and managed to rally his team to a good performance.

He managed to get through the issues with Marshall and Walker and has had more than enough comebacks in his history to be considered an able quarterback in the fourth quarter and when the game is on the line.

He has intangibles, he has the arm and he has the aptitude. He certainly has more in the way of intangibles than most starting QBs in the league and with the other leaders on offense we have he could flourish without being a supreme field general.

And if I am not mistaken, all his team needed was ONE MORE win to make the playoffs, in 4 games or so left.

With the sheit folks give JAKE, I can only imagine....

Archived