• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What the fuck is wrong with people in general

DoWorkBson

How do you know they aren't running any other fundraisers though? Or tried?

Are you kidding??? Who the fug cares. Why people think they should get something just because... If you cant afford to do something and cant earn the money to be able to do what you want instead of a parent or coach saying. We tried but its just not going to happen they instead go with..... Lets go stand on a corner and beg??//

I'd rather just flat out give the organization a donation than have to buy some crap that's overpriced and they only get a small percentage.

I bought so much fruit last year for the band fundraiser, you'd think we were going on a sea voyage.

Same when your kid brings home a bunch of crap from school or a club to sell for a fund raiser. Don't want to help sell all the crap, how much do you want a check for?

The biggest problem I run into is with the supermarkets asking for money when I check out. And if you don't give any then you're an asshole.

I'm just an asshole then because I never give money in the grocery stores. I don't mind the sports teams with their buckets. No different in my mind then Shriners or fire dept etc. If you don't care to donate then dont

As a cashier at a grocery store, I know what you guys are talking about. Myself, as well as most of my co-workers, HATE asking people for donations. But in a lot of cases, we have no choice BUT to ask. At my particular store, for example, our brilliant store managers put out 2-liter bottles of soda with signs that say "If your cashier fails to ask you to donate to X, you'll get a 2 liter for free!" And, if a cashier gives away 2 free 2-liters in a day, we get sent home. We could be 10 minutes into our shift and they'll send us home.

Personally, I hate asking people for a bunch of reasons: 1. People come to the grocery store for food, not to donate to a charity. 2. People get annoyed with me for asking, when I'm just annoyed at the fact that I have to ask. 3. People lie about donating money to get out of donating money. For example, we'll have people come in and say "I donated last Saturday when I came in here," when we weren't even doing the drive last Saturday. Honestly, I don't give a poo who donates and who doesn't, so you don't need to lie about it. You know you're not going to do it next time, so don't tell me you are.

And if you want to talk about ridiculousness, how about this REAL situation:

We were doing a donation drive for Children's Miracle Network. Sadly, on more than one occassion, I'd ask "Would you like to donate a dollar to the Children's Miracle Network?" and the customer would respond "I wish someone would donate a dollar to me!" and then proceed to pay with an EBT/Foodstamps card. All I can do is :rolleyes:

Are you kidding??? Who the fug cares. Why people think they should get something just because... If you cant afford to do something and cant earn the money to be able to do what you want instead of a parent or coach saying. We tried but its just not going to happen they instead go with..... Lets go stand on a corner and beg??//

My point is, no one knows if they are doing something already as well. How do you know that half of them aren't asking for donations and the other half aren't having a car wash?? I never said anything about something else not working, so they just ask for the donations.

And really, I don't see the big deal. If you give a donation or you don't. No is forcing you do anything.

My point is, no one knows if they are doing something already as well. How do you know that half of them aren't asking for donations and the other half aren't having a car wash?? I never said anything about something else not working, so they just ask for the donations.

And really, I don't see the big deal. If you give a donation or you don't. No is forcing you do anything.

The part that bothers me has nothing to do with me feeling forced to give them money because I dont, or me being hampered in anyway because im not. It is the SIMPLE fact that someone thinks this is acceptable to teach these kids to just ask for a hand out.

Sounds like the same type of argument that if kids play violent video games they will become serial killers. I don't buy it. A lot of those same kids do plenty of other activities outside of simply asking for donations, to raise money.

And I simply don't believe that that equates to them thinking that everything will just be handed to them. I just don't buy it.

The part that bothers me has nothing to do with me feeling forced to give them money because I dont, or me being hampered in anyway because im not. It is the SIMPLE fact that someone thinks this is acceptable to teach these kids to just ask for a hand out.

Dude, it's a donation for the kids activity. It's not like they're begging for money to use on hookers and blow. Do you have any idea how hard it is to raise money for something, in our case the high school band?

We've done car washes, fruit sakes, bake sales, nfl and acc cup sales, cookie dough, you name it. Hell, several of the kids took it upon themselves to stand in the parking lot of walmart playing for donations one Friday night. They'd probably make more money just standing on a corner asking for a donation.

You've stated you don't give donations anyway, so what's it to you how they're trying to raise money? If you have such a problem with it, how about donating your time and come up with a better profitable idea yourself.

Sorry to soapbox, but we've been trying to raise money for the high school band program here for the past 4 years, and we have another 4 to go. I know how hard it is to raise money for something like new band uniforms, competition fees, and instruments.

Would it really have killed you to have just donated $1? I'm sure they would have been happy to have told you exactly what the donation was for.

Archived