• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Penalties

Kettle

Wk 1 @ AZ; 10 for 74

Wk 2 vs GB; 6 for 50

Wk 3 vs JAC; 8 for 69

Wk 4 @ CHI; 8 for 52

Wk 5 vs NO; 7 for 65

Wk 6 @ ATL; 7 for 85

Wk 7 vs WAS; 13 for 105

Wk 8 vs MIN; 6 for 60

Wk 9 Bye

The Panthers are averaging 8.1 penalties for 70 yards per game.

I'm stealing from another thread to let you know what I think about this.

fight-club-punch.gif

How is this compared to the rest of the league?

Worse than most. Better than few. I looked at all the games for us. I don't have the time to do it for 31 more teams, and I don't know where to find rankings. Regardless we're giving up enough yards in penalties to equate to points.

It isn't just penalties but when they occur. How many drives were stalled on offensive penalties? On defense we have 2 PI calls in the endzone which gave Atlanta 14 points. It isn't just how many or the number of yards but how often these are momentum killers and results in 1st and 20 versus 2nd and 3.

Other teams make penalties, sure. But we seem to have a knack for doing ours at the worst possible time. We went down by two touchdowns and practically gift wrapped two touchdowns by our pass interference in the red zone...the other team only has to defeat us; we have to defeat them and stop beating ourselves.

It isn't just penalties but when they occur. How many drives were stalled on offensive penalties? On defense we have 2 PI calls in the endzone which gave Atlanta 14 points. It isn't just how many or the number of yards but how often these are momentum killers and results in 1st and 20 versus 2nd and 3.
timing is everything. we just played dumb yesterday. if it wasn't for those two penalties and that tipped INT in the endzone we could have won that game.

well...there was a lot more that cost us the game, but still those things hurt really badly.

we didn't make them work at all for two TDs, though. we helped them out a lot. we put them right in the perfect position for TDs.

KK the refs have had it in for our team since expansion. We might as well play with a flag up our ass.

I've heard that argument a lot and even thought it myself, but arguing with numbers is illogical. Take a look at the list, and see that we are penalized nearly the same amount as teams that the league supposedly loves.

21 New England

24 Dallas

26 Carolina

Archived