• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fox praises Jarrett

Mr. Scot

what good does having multiple receivers do?

oh yeah...I've had jake as my QB for too long...I forgot

Carry on

Did Jake not sign an autograph for you or something? Did he sleep with your sister in high school? That's the only explanation I can think of for bringing him up in a thread about Dwayne Jarrett's development that doesn't even mention him at all.

Fox's history is that of a guy who's never put a whole lot of faith in rookies and/or young players at certain positions. QB and WR being prime examples. He only started Keary Colbert a few years back because he pretty much had no choice. Otherwise, Colbert's development pattern likely would have been the same as Jarrett's.

Oh, I agree with that...and it's one of the things I really dislike about Fox. You have to take risks now and then. Being conservative...almost all the time...will only hurt you in the end. Sticking with palyers past their prime will too.

Jarrett's rookie season was marred by him not studying the playbook, as Smitty told to us all. His second season's lack of production was a result of Fox not trusting him enough. You don't learn the game by sitting on the bench though, nor can you really learn it in practice. I believe if he had suited up all 16 games and played in all 16, he would've been even better than he was with his few clutch catches.

Philly tried it with DeSean Jackson and the gamble paid off. Denver with Eddie Royal as well. Take a gamble now and then Fox. If it falls flat, so be it. You won't know what ya got til ya try it out.

IF Davidson requires in this offense what the Pats require in their offense, it is not an easy offense for WRs to play in. They have to make a lot of site adjustments based on the defense. That isn't the case in the Philly offense IIRC. It's part of why Stallworth did better there than in NE.

Fox's history is that of a guy who's never put a whole lot of faith in rookies and/or young players at certain positions. QB and WR being prime examples. He only started Keary Colbert a few years back because he pretty much had no choice. Otherwise, Colbert's development pattern likely would have been the same as Jarrett's.

Oh, I agree with that...and it's one of the things I really dislike about Fox. You have to take risks now and then. Being conservative...almost all the time...will only hurt you in the end. Sticking with palyers past their prime will too.

Jarrett's rookie season was marred by him not studying the playbook, as Smitty told to us all. His second season's lack of production was a result of Fox not trusting him enough. You don't learn the game by sitting on the bench though, nor can you really learn it in practice. I believe if he had suited up all 16 games and played in all 16, he would've been even better than he was with his few clutch catches.

Philly tried it with DeSean Jackson and the gamble paid off. Denver with Eddie Royal as well. Take a gamble now and then Fox. If it falls flat, so be it. You won't know what ya got til ya try it out.

Fox hasn't always had an aversion to starting rookies but, for some reason, he steered clear of it for a couple years.

I think Fox has shifted his direction once again on starting or using rookies. I think Beason made him take a second look at it. Beason's success as a starter at the most important position on defense and the team's response probably took Fox by surprise. I doubt that was the ideal situation for him. He wanted Morgan to start and did at MLB but then Morgan went down and Fox had very little choice but to start Beason. It worked.

Last year we had 2(kind of 3) rookies starting for us. Who would have thunk that? Otah, Godfrey, and you could also say that Stewart was given much more responsibility than rookies are normally given. Fox had a slew of Olinemen to choose from but he chose Otah. That speaks volumes. The old Fox would most likely have gone with Terrence Holt at FS...after all, he was a vet with a good amount of experience and had done OK in the past. He didn't just start Godfrey over Holt, He felt so confident in Godfrey that he cut Holt.

He has had success with rookies before but I think he is beginning to trust them more.

2002: Peppers, Witherspoon

2003: Gross

2004: Colbert, Wharton, Gamble

2005: none

2006: none (though Marshall ended up starting 8 games by season's end)

2007: Beason (though he started out at WLB)

2008: Otah, Godfrey (maybe you could count Stewart there)

Regarding Jarrett...he gave Fox no reason to believe in him that first year. Jarrett was lazy. Fox had very little reason to believe that Jarrett was going to turn it around but after that really stupid drunk driving deal, he started turning things around. Fox still couldn't trust him so he brought in Moose and Hackett. Both established Vets with a great deal of talent and proven starters. Moose won the WR2 position right out. There was no way based on his history with the team, relationship with Jake, his talent, and his downfield blocking that he wasn't going to get the start.

The rest of the season became an open and honest competition for not just the WR3 spot but a roster spot as well. Both were given pretty much equal shots throughout the season, trading off games active, and Jarrett won the job. Next year he will be the WR3 again, but expect his numbers to more than double. With every year you will see not only his numbers escalate, you will see him taking over the WR2 spot from Moose. you will also see him playing a vital part of the offense because he is someone who catches everything that comes his way. He is reliable and, because Fox took the hardline with him and Smith and Moose worked with him and mentored him, he is going to have a great work ethic.

Well, I think Smitty's comment was about him watching film, but I get your drift. I think you hit the nail on the head with the trust issue, Jarrett had to earn that and I believe he has. Moose definitely had a great mentoring affect, IMO...

Jarrett has a lot of potential, but honestly, don't be surprised if he doesn't have very many catches again this year. We're a running team that rarely has more than 2 WR's on the field. We have the best running back tandem in the league and one of the best offenses in the league because of our running game. We have two reliable receivers that do their jobs perfectly in our offense. There's really no need for the 3rd WR to play a big role right now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I think Jarrett will be Moose's successor after another season or two, but is he any good at blocking? I honestly don't know how good his blocking is and that's obviously going to be important to the coaching staff in our run-first offense, so if his blocking skills are lacking, they'll be reluctant to play him.

He's not likely to see moose like 800 yard years until he's actually starting as the number 2 guy.

That being said, I'm glad I called this, when we drafted him and people said "OMG NO MIKE WILLIAMS" suck it, haters

Funny you should mention Mike Williams. Here is how they compare.

Williams- 3 seasons, 44 catches, 539 yards, 12.2 average and 2 TDS.

Jarrett- 2 seasons, 16 catches, 192 yards, 12 average, and 0 Tds.

So for Jarrett to even be as good as Williams he will need 28 catches for 347 yards which equates to a 12.4 yard average and 2 Tds this season.

I wouldn't exactly be patting myself on the back. At the rate he is going he won't even equal Williams numbers which is pretty sad in my opinion considering Williams was considered a huge bust.

Funny you should mention Mike Williams. Here is how they compare.

Williams- 3 seasons, 44 catches, 539 yards, 12.2 average and 2 TDS.

Jarrett- 2 seasons, 16 catches, 192 yards, 12 average, and 0 Tds.

So for Jarrett to even be as good as Williams he will need 28 catches for 347 yards which equates to a 12.4 yard average and 2 Tds this season.

I wouldn't exactly be patting myself on the back. At the rate he is going he won't even equal Williams numbers which is pretty sad in my opinion considering Williams was considered a huge bust.

Just for a little perspective, Williams was picked with the 10th overall pick and expected to contribute early. This was on top of playing in an offense that threw the ball slightly over 100 more times than the panthers this season. On a team that featured a TE as the leading receiver (Marcus Pollard, 46 receptions and 516 yds; and Roy Williams close with 45 rec. and 687 yds.)

For arguments sake I'll compare that to Jarrett this season, as it was his highest statistically.

Jarrett came into the season in Fox's doghouse behind newly signed DJ Hackett who had proven he could play, and nobody expected him to do much.

Yea, he only had 10 catches(side note: 9 first downs). But he also did this in an offense that hit their pro bowl wide receiver Steve Smith for 78 rec. and 1421 yds, and Moose for 65 rec. and 923 yards, and while fighting for playing time with a proven veteran at the #3 receiver spot.

To recap, for both receivers best statistical years:

Williams caught 29 balls in an offense that threw the ball 106 times more than the panthers and had their top two receivers responsible for 30% of their completions. Also had 20 first downs, but criticized for having poor hands.

Jarrett caught 10 balls in an offense that was mainly run oriented, and had their top two receivers responsible for 58% of their completions. Also had 9 first downs, and praised for having good hands and making the most of his opportunities.

I'm not saying Jarrett doesn't need to step it up, or that he has proven anything. But lets be fair and not "compare" him statistically to a legendary bust who's career so far has had the exact opposite path so far.

Williams peaked in his rookie season and sharply declined until he was out of the league after 3 teams and 4 seasons.

Jarrett had some growing pains, but manned up, worked hard, and showed some improvement even in a very difficult situation to produce.

That's all. Thanks to SI and Nfl.com for the stats.

Archived