• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just Bought a Fish Tank

The Saltman

Cold freshwater fish are the easiest to deal with as a beginner. And they are also more lively. You can buy baby koi at WalMart for a dollar, and they will grow quickly. Also, moors, oranda, lionheads. Corydoras catfish. A school of neon tetras, and a few guppies. That's a good variety of size, shape, and color.

And I kept clown loaches in a coldwater tank.

588426902.jpg

I was teasing you :)

yes! definitely don't put anything in there (except your sand and rocks)...I have a great LFS I go to to by the water..RO and Salt(already in there for you) definitely find where you can buy it that way..it's cheap and obviously all mixed in for you. Don't skimp on your filters, your lights, your skimmer..buy the best, b/c when you don't it makes it difficult in the long run. Why only 37 gall??

buy all live rocks and sand btw..don't buy the fake crap.

Also, Don't go to Fintastic..they sucka da balls!

it's an expensive hobby..to set up...once you get going you're golden. Mr.PF and I have easily put 7k in ours..who am I kidding..he's easily put that much in there :)

I started like Saltman....a small tank with freshwater. When it was all said and done I had a 300 gallon saltwater reef tank built into the wall (I had a small room off the house which made that part easy). In that room were 2 55 gallon containers that ran salt water 24/7, a 55 gallon sump, 2 4' protein skimmers, titanium drop in chiller, 3 drop metal halide fixtures-had to buy all brass hardware for door becuase the salt corroded the hinges and door knobs in like a week! Easily had 20k in that set up. I eventually sold it to a General contractor buddy of mine for 14K and put in a built in bookcase. Be careful Salty is it is ADDICTIVE!

aquariums are addictive, especially once you get into co2 injectors and live plants

java moss got so bad in my old 55 gallon that i was throwing away handfuls of the stuff

i've run brackish up to 22pts and freshwater, but never any full salt water setups. skimmers are awesome if you can crank the salinity up enough for them to work.

i like brackish best because you can kill any disease by shocking it with a salinity change and the fish don't mind it at all

plus brackish fish are ugly as hell which is awesome, and they're hard to kill for the most part

i miss my little bumblebee gobies. if i had a tank now, it would be a 30-40g with nothing but 20 bumblebee gobies in it

stay away from puffers. they're cute and animated and interesting, but they have beaks like parrots and will take a bite out of anything

Archived