• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Nerdcation

cookinwithgas

wtf? No it was last week. Thats Endeavour in the VAB which is now open for tours, and the Mars Curiosity launch.

The other 2 shuttles were in the OPF buildings, the third is now (IIRC) leased to Boeing so the Endeavour is being prepped for delivery to a museum in Los Angeles in High Bay 3. The VAB was built to process 4 Saturn V rockets at the same time but I think the most it ever did was 2. The Shuttle System was dwarfed by the building.

Pad 39A still has the shuttle FSS and RSS on it, as there's been no monies alloted to dismantling it. Pad 39B has the Ares/Constellation launch structure built on it, but that program's been cancelled. It will probably be modified to handle more modular commercial launch systems at some point in the future.

It would have been pretty difficult to take a shuttle that looked like that on Monday and launch it on Saturday. The forward RCS is completely out, and the OMS pods are missing as well.

When I was a kid I always thought I would work there as an adult. My submarine pulled into the Air Force Station tidal basin for missle and torpedo loads a couple of times and standing topside watch, listening to the KSC weather reports over the loudspeakers on the pier was pretty freaking surreal when they ended with "This is Shuttle Launch Control"....

Archived