• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NHL Realignment

Boltergeist

Has been approved, with 4 conferences (yes, conferences).

Carolina is in the same conference with New Jersey, Philly, Pittsburgh, NY Rangers, Washington, and NY Islanders

and the other 3 conferences

* Boston, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, Buffalo, Florida and Tampa Bay

* Detroit, Columbus, Nashville, St. Louis, Chicago, Minnesota, Dallas and Winnipeg

* Los Angeles, Anaheim, Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton, Colorado

playoffs are going to revert back to the old style where the top 4 teams from each conference make the playoffs, face off in each of the first 2 rounds with the conference champs then play the Cup semis and finals.

we're not going to be winning another stanley cup any time soon

I still don't understand, for traveling purposes, why we are in that conference though. I like the Southeast Division because, before Atlanta went to Winnipeg, the match-ups made sense. Now, we're playing all the Northeast teams?

• 1 month later...

NHL: This is fair for everyone!

NHLPA: This is fair for no one!

I agree with NHLPA. The NHL is getting everything wrong on a consistent basis. They were supposed to lesson travel, get Detroit back into the East, keep rivalries intact. They did none of that.

It is so simple, bring Nashville to the East, move the Jets to the west and Detroit, well, fug 'em.

I don't know... I've been pretty undecided on the realignment scenario.

On the one hand, a division w/ Philly, NYR, Pit, and NJ etc would substantially increase ticket sales for what amounts to nearly half our games, boost TV ratings, and all around increase revenue. This could allow us to increase our self-imposed budget and spend relatively closer to the cap. It would also increase our national exposure, which is a good thing.

On the other hand, we could get our ass kicked so hard in that division that no one shows up to the games anyway.

So I don't know whether or not to be happy or upset w/ the NHLPA's decision.

Archived